Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-20-2007, 11:03 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Default E6600 Idling at 45C

Hi,
My Core2Duo E6600 2.4ghz processor idles around 45C. I even bought a after market cooler to help keep the temperatures down (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16835186134). I'm not overclocking and I've applied artic silver thermal compound. I've reapplied the thermal compound multiples ways, trying to get better results, but the lowest I've gotten is around 40C. My case has two fans in it, and my house is around 73 Fahrenheit. Do I just have a hot-running processor, or is there anything else I can do?
Thanks for the help!

taekwondodogoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:10 AM   #2
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: E6600 Idling at 45C

Could just be a hott runner. That ambiant temp from your house will raise the temps a bit. How is the airflow inside the case? Do you have a lot of wires hanging all over the place?

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to ߧ∩H♠H䎀

I'm going to assume your running a 1.35Vcore since you said its at stock. In that case I'd say your a little high. With a 73F ambient you should be running around 37-38C. Again I don't know how well that cooler works though.

Right now its probally 68-70F in my room and i'm idling at 35C with a 1.51875Vcore and 3525mhz clock.

Its possible you don't have your HSF tightened down enough.
ߧ∩H♠H䎀 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:17 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to MooseMan

If you are using the Motherboard to check temps, you might want to get a standalone hardware temperature monitor. That way you know you are getting accurate readings. I have had my motherboard give me incorrect temps before. All you need to do if you get a hardware temp monitor is stick the sensor into the heatsink fins close to the base and you should get a pretty accurate temp.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to ߧ∩H♠H䎀

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMan View Post
If you are using the Motherboard to check temps, you might want to get a standalone hardware temperature monitor. That way you know you are getting accurate readings. I have had my motherboard give me incorrect temps before. All you need to do if you get a hardware temp monitor is stick the sensor into the heatsink fins close to the base and you should get a pretty accurate temp.
Actually Mooseman brings up a good point. If your checking your temps in the bios then there not idle temps. Bios normally puts roughly a 60% load on your PC.

If you want in windows temp monitoring I recommend Everest it monitors all your hardware IE cpu,both cores,motherboard,gpu,harddrives etc. Plus you can create logs for games to see how much cpu and temps both low and high and a average to make sure your not running to hot.

Also as he said make sure you flash your bios to one that has correct temp readings. Some earlier bios's didn't read core2duo temps accurate and were roughly 5-7C to low.
ߧ∩H♠H䎀 is offline   Reply With Quote