Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-30-2007, 02:04 AM   #1
BSOD
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 251
Send a message via AIM to gplpark92
Default DX10 AGP card

whats the best DX10 card for AGP right now? I see a few HD2600XT's but I don't know much about ATi cards. would someone care to explain?

this would give new life to my old PC

Also, is it possible to swap motherboards of 2 PC's without reinstalling everything?
my mom's PC has a nice new PCI-E motherboard that Supports my memory and has compatibility with the Athlon X2 4800+!

she'll never know the difference :P
__________________

gplpark92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:07 AM   #2
Golden Master
 
borat_sagdiyev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,986
Send a message via AIM to borat_sagdiyev Send a message via MSN to borat_sagdiyev
Default Re: DX10 AGP card

what cpu and how much ram do you have?
__________________

__________________
Core 2 Duo e4500 2.2ghz @ 2.8ghz
evga 650i ultra
2gb 400mhz ram OC'ed to 450
evga geforce 7600GT overclocked
borat_sagdiyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:10 AM   #3
BSOD
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 251
Send a message via AIM to gplpark92
Default Re: DX10 AGP card

Quote:
Originally Posted by borat_sagdiyev View Post
what cpu and how much ram do you have?
P4 3GHz HT (530) - Socket 478, 2GB DDR400, 500W, 320GB SATA II
the mobo in my mom's PC is an Asus A8N-LA. it has plenty of potential. mine doesnt.
with hers, i can fit 4GB of RAM, anything on a PCI-E slot, and a 4800+!
mine is a measly 2GB max, an AGP 8x slot, and an old-a$$ P4 530

I wanna be able to play high-end DX10 games like Bioshock and crysis on medium settings at least.
gplpark92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:26 AM   #4
Site Team
 
celegorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,713
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: DX10 AGP card

Where do you see the 2600XT in AGP? I think your out of luck on DX10. Last I heard they were not going to put it on AGP.
__________________
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:28 AM   #5
BSOD
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 251
Send a message via AIM to gplpark92
Default Re: DX10 AGP card

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
Where do you see the 2600XT in AGP? I think your out of luck on DX10. Last I heard they were not going to put it on AGP.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/06...n_hd_2600_xt/1

http://www.neutronexpress.com/prod.c...TEK/900184/BOX

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....ci_sku=8358314
gplpark92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:30 AM   #6
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,629
Send a message via AIM to ߧ∩H♠H䎀
Default Re: DX10 AGP card

Well I was just searching around newegg and didn't find any AGP HD2600XT's only PCI-E. Maybe they don't have them up yet. Yes its possible to swap boards without reinstalling you would just have to uninstall the current chipset/motherboard drivers with the drivers for the board your replacing it with.

Also make sure its the same form factor if its a micro design it most likely won't fit correctly.

Also i'm sure she will know the difference when here boot screen changes to a different board.

Edit:
Since HIS has said that it’s the HD 2600 XT version, the 120 stream processors will be clocked at 800MHz, while the GDDR4 memory should run at 2200MHz, albeit over a 128-bit memory interface.

128bit memory interface is going to be horrible. Your better off just saving up for a new motherboard. AGP is so dead.
ߧ∩H♠H䎀 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:32 AM   #7
BSOD
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 251
Send a message via AIM to gplpark92
Default Re: DX10 AGP card

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieDaShark83 View Post
Well I was just searching around newegg and didn't find any AGP HD2600XT's only PCI-E. Maybe they don't have them up yet. Yes its possible to swap boards without reinstalling you would just have to uninstall the current chipset/motherboard drivers with the drivers for the board your replacing it with.

Also make sure its the same form factor if its a micro design it most likely won't fit correctly.

Also i'm sure she will know the difference when here boot screen changes to a different board.

Edit:
Since HIS has said that it’s the HD 2600 XT version, the 120 stream processors will be clocked at 800MHz, while the GDDR4 memory should run at 2200MHz, albeit over a 128-bit memory interface.

128bit memory interface is going to be horrible. Your better off just saving up for a new motherboard. AGP is so dead.
she doesnt look at the boot screen. all she sees is "WINDOWS XP PROFRESSIONAL"
shes very open about her PC as I'm the one who usually services it (meaning she doesnt care who's on it) and isnt PC savvy at all. i dont think she would care actually either. all she does is access the net and type in Word
gplpark92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:43 AM   #8
Golden Master
 
borat_sagdiyev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,986
Send a message via AIM to borat_sagdiyev Send a message via MSN to borat_sagdiyev
Default Re: DX10 AGP card

you would have to reinstall windows because it would be a different chipset that it would running on.
__________________
Core 2 Duo e4500 2.2ghz @ 2.8ghz
evga 650i ultra
2gb 400mhz ram OC'ed to 450
evga geforce 7600GT overclocked
borat_sagdiyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:49 AM   #9
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,629
Send a message via AIM to ߧ∩H♠H䎀
Default Re: DX10 AGP card

Quote:
Originally Posted by borat_sagdiyev View Post
you would have to reinstall windows because it would be a different chipset that it would running on.

No he wouldn't! I went from a 590sli chipset to the 680I SLI chipset and did not have to do a reformat. Its as simple as uninstalling the current chipset drivers and installing the ones from the new board. I've had no BSOD's since i've upgraded my board without a reformat.
ߧ∩H♠H䎀 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:46 AM   #10
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: DX10 AGP card

I would save up for a new board , its better to be honest and buy a new board than be dishonhest and steal hers , by all means ask her if it is ok to change boards and if she is ok with that then swap them but i wouldnt do itwithout asking
__________________

__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0