DX10 AGP card

gplpark92

BSOD
whats the best DX10 card for AGP right now? I see a few HD2600XT's but I don't know much about ATi cards. would someone care to explain?

this would give new life to my old PC :D

Also, is it possible to swap motherboards of 2 PC's without reinstalling everything?
my mom's PC has a nice new PCI-E motherboard that Supports my memory :D and has compatibility with the Athlon X2 4800+!

she'll never know the difference :p

what cpu and how much ram do you have?

P4 3GHz HT (530) - Socket 478, 2GB DDR400, 500W, 320GB SATA II
the mobo in my mom's PC is an Asus A8N-LA. it has plenty of potential. mine doesnt.
with hers, i can fit 4GB of RAM, anything on a PCI-E slot, and a 4800+!
mine is a measly 2GB max, an AGP 8x slot, and an old-a$$ P4 530

I wanna be able to play high-end DX10 games like Bioshock and crysis on medium settings at least.

Where do you see the 2600XT in AGP? I think your out of luck on DX10. Last I heard they were not going to put it on AGP.

Well I was just searching around newegg and didn't find any AGP HD2600XT's only PCI-E. Maybe they don't have them up yet. Yes its possible to swap boards without reinstalling you would just have to uninstall the current chipset/motherboard drivers with the drivers for the board your replacing it with.

Also make sure its the same form factor if its a micro design it most likely won't fit correctly.

Also i'm sure she will know the difference when here boot screen changes to a different board.

Edit:
Since HIS has said that it's the HD 2600 XT version, the 120 stream processors will be clocked at 800MHz, while the GDDR4 memory should run at 2200MHz, albeit over a 128-bit memory interface.

128bit memory interface is going to be horrible. Your better off just saving up for a new motherboard. AGP is so dead.

Well I was just searching around newegg and didn't find any AGP HD2600XT's only PCI-E. Maybe they don't have them up yet. Yes its possible to swap boards without reinstalling you would just have to uninstall the current chipset/motherboard drivers with the drivers for the board your replacing it with.

Also make sure its the same form factor if its a micro design it most likely won't fit correctly.

Also i'm sure she will know the difference when here boot screen changes to a different board.

Edit:
Since HIS has said that it's the HD 2600 XT version, the 120 stream processors will be clocked at 800MHz, while the GDDR4 memory should run at 2200MHz, albeit over a 128-bit memory interface.

128bit memory interface is going to be horrible. Your better off just saving up for a new motherboard. AGP is so dead.

she doesnt look at the boot screen. all she sees is "WINDOWS XP PROFRESSIONAL"
shes very open about her PC as I'm the one who usually services it (meaning she doesnt care who's on it) and isnt PC savvy at all. i dont think she would care actually either. all she does is access the net and type in Word

you would have to reinstall windows because it would be a different chipset that it would running on.

No he wouldn't! I went from a 590sli chipset to the 680I SLI chipset and did not have to do a reformat. Its as simple as uninstalling the current chipset drivers and installing the ones from the new board. I've had no BSOD's since i've upgraded my board without a reformat.

I would save up for a new board , its better to be honest and buy a new board than be dishonhest and steal hers , by all means ask her if it is ok to change boards and if she is ok with that then swap them but i wouldnt do itwithout asking

Back
Top Bottom