DVR Options

ostranderbrown1

Beta member
We are looking to use a computer as a DVR. We currently have an HP Desktop with 2.5ghz, 2 gigs ram, and 32bit windows vista. We are willing to spend around $500 or $600 for a new laptop. My question is, if we buy a PCI TV tuner for the desktop, will a $500 laptop and a wireless g connection be able to play the videos?

Or, are we better off spending closer to $700 for a new laptop with a TV tuner in it, (or buying a USB tuner), and recording the TV and playing the recorded programs direct from the laptop harddrive?

I know a bit about computers, but the technology and speeds have changed so much, I am little out of my element in knowing what to look for. Any advice is appreciated.

Also, how will this setup with with Comcast's new "digital boxes"?

Thanks

Welcome to CF! You are better off seeing a direct connection usb or other for recording in general.

With any WiFi setup you would to see remote access to the desktop where the recordings are stored in a shared folder. Remote access would also be needed in order to see the laptop upload from there.

Another option would be the use of an external usb hard drive where you could move recordings onto that from the desktop and later view when plugged into the laptop being made portable. A large usb flash drive like a 64gb size would hold quite a bit as well without need for an ac adapter while usb hard drives come in sizes upto 2tb!

Back
Top Bottom