Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-02-2006, 07:33 AM   #1
Beta Member
Default DVI to VGA

I want to connect my PC to my TV. My graphics card is a Matrox P650 which has dual DVI outputs. The DVI is 19pins. I want to get the best picture qualty on my Sony KDF E50A12U TV which has HDMI & VGA inputs. I tried to connect a 29pin DVI cable to HDMI but I could not get a picture. First question can a 19pin DVI be connected to 29pin DVI (they fit together).

I next used a DVI to HD15 connector and connected a vga to vga cable. Success great picture quality.
What I need to know is what is best configuration in order to get the best signal quality to the TV should I get:
1) 19pin DVI to VGA cable
2) use the adapter and get VGA to VGA (as I have now)
3)DVI 29pin to VGA cable. This leads into the confusing world of DVI. Will a 29pin DVI (male) work with 19pin DVI (female).

Any advice very welcome.

howardg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:53 PM   #2
Beta Member
Default Re: DVI to VGA

You might wanna stay with the connection you have now ( getting a dvi to vga cable will yield the same result)

Also, I don't think you can't connect a 29 pin to a 19 pin DVI. You might want to double-check on that though.

myhairyaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:12 PM   #3
Site Team

Care to take pics of the 19-pin and 29-pin? I'm quite confused here
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:48 AM   #4
Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

You might be able to find an adapter... but you would need an adapter. You couldn't just plug one into the other. Try searching for one. A quick search for me yealded this but of course you know better what exactly you are after.

Personally I would stick with the DVI to VGA. You shouldn't be able to notice the difference I would have thought. I can't at least!
A Knight is sworn to Honour. His heart knows only Virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the Weak. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the Wicked.
Lord Kalthorn is offline   Reply With Quote