DVDRW suddenly not detecting anything

RaisingKane

Solid State Member
My computer uses Windows XP (with all the updates), has a DVD burner and a dvd reader, uses Nero. Yesterday, I used Nero to burn a CD-RW disc. It gave me an error after trying to verify the disc, but I think it always does that. After that, though, my burner drive stopped working. It won't detect any kind of disc, CDRW or game CDs. My DVD reader still works fine. I tried updating ASPI, but that had no effect. What gives?

Windows Media Center (SP 2)
Intel Pentium 4 630, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
RAM: 1013 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)

Optical Drives:
LITE-ON DVD SOHD-16P9S (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S (DVD+R9:2.4x, DVD+RW:16x/4x, DVD-RW:8x/4x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/24x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)

I'm not sure I want to try reinstalling my optical drive...

Nero still says the ASPI installation is corrupted, even after I tried reinstalling it. Nero also says Nero's ASPI is working properly, but it isn't detecting any discs either!

Do you have other user accounts on your computer? If so, try to see if the other person was trying to burn anything that was incomplete. If there was a file that was interrupted during a burn, it could still be in queue. Just delete that file if present and reboot. I was over at a friends house that had a very similar problem. She couldn't burn DVDs for some reason. I checked her other account and sure enough, the guy pulled the DVD out before it could finish the burn, so the file was still there hanging around. I deleted that and logged back on and the DVD worked again. It's worth a try, but you may not have the same scenario.

No other accounts (save for the Administrator account that only shows up in Safe Mode). However, as stated in my first post, I was burning a cd right before the drive stopped working. I thought it finished, though. Anyway, deleting the file I had been burning and restarting did nothing. Was there something else I was supposed to clean out?

Actually TRDCorolla made a good point. clear out the temp folder in windows. also open up the DVD burner drive (through my computer) and is there any files in there even though theres no CD in? if so delete them to.

I deleted everything in the Windows temp folder as well as the original file, rebooted, and still nothing. There are no files ready to be burned, either.

I've also updated my firmware to the latest version (BSOS) and replaced the Windows ASPI...and that didn't work.

Back
Top Bottom