Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-07-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 32
Default DVD RW Vanished !

A few days ago is was burning a few dvd's with no problem, turn on my pc this morning & it doesnt work, no lights at all & it doesnt appear in "My Computer" either (the rest of the pc seems fine) , changed the cable & even tried another spare dvd rom I have, but with the same problem ! ... Is it my mother board...? any suggestions please ..
__________________

rocketpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
Golden Master
 
sniperviper21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 5,438
Default Re: DVD RW Vanished !

is it IDE or SATA?

if its IDE, your IDE header could be at fault on your Mobo

could try to switch the power plug out with another one from your PSU.
__________________

__________________
You got to have a Fiddle in the band!
sniperviper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
j03
~~~~~~~~
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 5,556
Send a message via MSN to j03
Default Re: DVD RW Vanished !

As SniperViper21 said, is it a SATA or IDE DVD drive?

And just to clarify, I think SniperViper means the Molex Plug that go's into the Disk Drive, not the Kettle Plug that goes into the back of your PSU.
j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:12 AM   #4
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 32
Default Re: DVD RW Vanished !

Thanks for the replys, not wishing to sound too thick but how can i tell if its either Ide or sata ? .. I can usually find my way around my pc to reasonable level, but once i have established which one it is, may needs a little help to make any adjustments, could it be possible that the power supply needs replacing ? thnaks
rocketpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:50 AM   #5
Golden Master
 
sniperviper21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 5,438
Default Re: DVD RW Vanished !

IDE = a 24 pin wide, gray ribbon cable, that says master on the top, and slave in the middle

SATA = a much thiner red cable that plugs into the drive, then to a SATA port on the motherboard.
__________________
You got to have a Fiddle in the band!
sniperviper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #6
Daemon Poster
 
PokerDegenerate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,465
Default Re: DVD RW Vanished !

it could also be your upper and lower filters. My mothers laptop did the same thing and I went in and deleted the upper and lower filters and rebooted the computer and it came back and it hasnt disappeared again since.

To try this you have to go in and delete them from the registry editor.

1. go to run and type in regedit
2. go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
3. go to System
4. go to Current Control Set (you might have a couple different control sets so check each one for the the next steps since some might not have step 7 and the correct step 8 folder)
6. go to Control
7. go to Class
8. then select 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 (there is going to be alot that look like this one make sure it is this one)
9. once you get here look for anything that says upper filters, lower filters, upper filters.bak, lowerfilters.bak and delete them (right click on them and click delete). Once you do this close the registry editor and reboot your computer.

This is how I did it and it worked but if this does not work than it could be like sniper stated something hardware related. I would try to delete the filters before messing with anything else though since it is a very easy fix
__________________
Raidmax Smilodon Extreme Black Case -|-AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE @ 3829.50 Mhz (18.5 x 207, vcore 1.424, NB 2600 mhz, HT link 2200 mhz) -|- Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V -|- Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P Mobo -|- G. Skill 6Gb (3 x 2Gb) DDR3 1333 RAM 7-7-7-18-2t -|- WD Caviar 7200 RPM 1 TB HDD -|- OCZ GameXtreme 700W -|- Radeon 4870 1Gb @ 780/1050 -|- Asus VW202NR 20" wide-screen -|- Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit -|- Saitek Cyborg Keyboard -|- Razer Lachesis Mouse
PokerDegenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #7
Fully Optimized
 
jmacavali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,867
Default Re: DVD RW Vanished !

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerDegenerate View Post
it could also be your upper and lower filters. My mothers laptop did the same thing and I went in and deleted the upper and lower filters and rebooted the computer and it came back and it hasnt disappeared again since.

To try this you have to go in and delete them from the registry editor.

1. go to run and type in regedit
2. go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
3. go to System
4. go to Current Control Set (you might have a couple different control sets so check each one for the the next steps since some might not have step 7 and the correct step 8 folder)
6. go to Control
7. go to Class
8. then select 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 (there is going to be alot that look like this one make sure it is this one)
9. once you get here look for anything that says upper filters, lower filters, upper filters.bak, lowerfilters.bak and delete them (right click on them and click delete). Once you do this close the registry editor and reboot your computer.

This is how I did it and it worked but if this does not work than it could be like sniper stated something hardware related. I would try to delete the filters before messing with anything else though since it is a very easy fix
You should really backup the registry before doing this because if you do one step wrong you could really screw up the computer.
__________________
****************************************
Don't take life too seriously -- no one gets out alive. Plus, who wants to arrive to the hereafter in pristine condition wearing a suit and tie?
I want to slide in sideways, worn out, used up, hair a mess, clothes tattered, & screaming, "Whooo! What a ride!"
****************************************
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #8
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 32
Default Re: DVD RW Vanished !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperviper21 View Post
IDE = a 24 pin wide, gray ribbon cable, that says master on the top, and slave in the middle

SATA = a much thiner red cable that plugs into the drive, then to a SATA port on the motherboard.
Its IDE mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerDegenerate View Post
it could also be your upper and lower filters. My mothers laptop did the same thing and I went in and deleted the upper and lower filters and rebooted the computer and it came back and it hasnt disappeared again since.

To try this you have to go in and delete them from the registry editor.

1. go to run and type in regedit
2. go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
3. go to System
4. go to Current Control Set (you might have a couple different control sets so check each one for the the next steps since some might not have step 7 and the correct step 8 folder)
6. go to Control
7. go to Class
8. then select 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 (there is going to be alot that look like this one make sure it is this one)
9. once you get here look for anything that says upper filters, lower filters, upper filters.bak, lowerfilters.bak and delete them (right click on them and click delete). Once you do this close the registry editor and reboot your computer.

This is how I did it and it worked but if this does not work than it could be like sniper stated something hardware related. I would try to delete the filters before messing with anything else though since it is a very easy fix
Thanks for that, did try it, but didnt reolve the problem, might even back up my stuff & reformat see if that makes a differance, the pc in 4 yrs old & there is a small batter next to the interface on the mobo, dont suppose that could be anything to do with it , its an Asus board , am inclined to think it may be the powersupply, but loathed to buy another one only to find that isnt the problem ..

funny thing is, its shows a floppy drive in "my computer" when i dont have a floppy !
rocketpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:34 AM   #9
Fully Optimized
 
jmacavali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,867
Default Re: DVD RW Vanished !

I'd guess its the drive itself gone bad. It is probably misreading it and showing it as the floppy. A reload won't help issues if it's hardware related, plus you'll have a tough time formating without an optical drive.
__________________
****************************************
Don't take life too seriously -- no one gets out alive. Plus, who wants to arrive to the hereafter in pristine condition wearing a suit and tie?
I want to slide in sideways, worn out, used up, hair a mess, clothes tattered, & screaming, "Whooo! What a ride!"
****************************************
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #10
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 32
Default Re: DVD RW Vanished !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacavali View Post
I'd guess its the drive itself gone bad. It is probably misreading it and showing it as the floppy. A reload won't help issues if it's hardware related, plus you'll have a tough time formating without an optical drive.
Oh Yeah, hadnt thought about that ! lol ... Unlikely to be the drive itself tho, as tried a spare & that didnt work either, strange how the rest of the pc seems to be ok tho, i guess a trip to my local pc shop is now the only option, ho hum .
__________________

rocketpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0