DVD-RW isn't recognized by Windows

sportzstooge007

Solid State Member
My HP came with a DVD-R drive and a CD-ROM drive. Today, I took out the DVD-R drive and replaced it with a DVD-RW drive.

I hooked the DVD-RW up the same way the DVD-R was.

But for some reason, Windows does not recognize the new drive, and now it won't even recognize my CD-ROM drive, which I didn't touch! I checked the connections and everything, and nothing is working!

I have the DVD-RW hooked up with the jumper set on 'Cable Select'.

I think perhaps the problem is that I'm still running on Windows SP1. But when I try to install SP2, it gives me an error message after installing saying 'Access Denied'. Plus, when I try to install other things, it tells me I need to be the system administrator to install them, even though I am. How do I fix these problems? Are they related?

Any help at all is appreciated.

Since you just bought your PC, do a system restore with the new DVD burner in there. Make sure everything is connected using Cable Select if that's what you set it as. Is the CD ROM using Cable Select too? I just don't understand why people would want to have 2 optical drives. You can do disk copy by using just one drive. I've done it plenty of times when duplicating CDs. Yes, I make lots of CD and DVD copies for other people.

I also have 2 drives, and to me its a tad bit better/faster then having to copy the file onto the hard drive, and then burn them again. Anyhow, try actualy changing the jumpers, dont use cable select, try the actual jumpers and see what happens.

Thanks for your help so far, guys.

But do you think it could be the fact that I'm running Windows with SP1 still? And what about that administrator problem?

I'll try changing the jumper settings in a few seconds, by the way.

EDIT:

I just restarted in Safe Mode in my administrators account and I am going to try to install SP2.

Back
Top Bottom