Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-18-2005, 12:27 AM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Dvd+-r/rw

What are the pros and cons of using + and - formats. And which would you recommend?

The only things I have heard about them is that one format is preformatted and the other isn't. I can't remember which format. And that my burner burns - format at 8x and + format at 16x. Can someone explain why?

What I would like to know about is like if one is better for compressed dvd movies to be played on a standard dvd player.

AndyMan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 12:32 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to The_Other_One
Default Re: Dvd+-r/rw

+ has some memory managment or some crap like that. Apparently they can burn faster, even at the same speeds. However, I go with - simply because I find more devices are compatable with this type...

They get me from 0 to 1...
The_Other_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 12:35 AM   #3
Golden Master

For DVD's, I always use the + because it's new. It supports Dual Layer which result in higher storage capacity but also results in higher cost. It's faster than DVD-R.

Now DVD-R is older technology and only allows one layer compared to multiple layers found in DVD+R. It is compatible with pretty much every single DVD player that exist today. It is slower and cheaper.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:41 AM   #4
Solid State Member

So, all DVD+R's are dual layer? Or are both dual and single layer around for + format?
AndyMan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 12:51 AM   #5
Golden Master

There are actually DVD+R that only support 4.7GB of data so it's like single layer. You have to look at the label when you shop for this. I've used both DVD+R single layer (4.7GB) and dual layer (8.5GB).

Keep in mind that DVD-R is only 4.7GB single layer, but mostly compatible with all DVD players. If you bought a DVD player within the last couple of years, DVD+R will be compatible with those or look for the DVD+R compatible note on the player.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:20 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to winterfreshpwnz Send a message via MSN to winterfreshpwnz

Yeah DVD+R tends to be more compatible with DVD players and it has the Dual Layer feature that gives a lot more space, but costs a lot of money right now.