DVD Drive Recognition Problem

NeciFiX

In Runtime
I recently purchased an OEM DVD/CD Drive from Newegg, here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106228

And simply, it won't work. I'll start from the beginning though.

Two or three months back I removed my old 250W PSU to put in a 400W PSU in order to power my computer better (new GPU and such), and, I hadn't a clue how to get my old PSU out. My brother came upstairs and helped get the old PSU out and the new one in, from there, I installed the PSU and put all the cords into the spots on the motherboard and such. In the process, I removed my floppy drive (for some good reason, I forgot why) and unplugged my two CD/DVD drives (older ones). A month or two later I plugged them both in.

The 4-pin molex connector went in the right spots, and the IDE cable thing (the cable that goes into the mobo and to the DVD drives, it was missing 1 pin) into the two drives. They opened and closed. Huzzah. I don't use discs, very rarely so. I bought the game "Morrowind" because I used to play it a lot and wanted to re-live the experience. I received it in the mail 21 hours later (from Target.com, no less, with less than standard shipping, lol, nice, eh?) and even though my disk drives open, the LED "lights up" and it does make some small noises, it wouldn't read the disc. Going to "My Computer" only showed F: Drive and G: Drive and F: Drive asked what to open it with (I chose many things but nothing happened), and the G: Drive was like an empty folder (or vice versa, but, I believe the order is correct).

I got a new DVD Drive as a result. I assumed the drives were bad since I keep the side of my PC open to allow air-flow (it gets way too hot) and they were quite old, so, maybe they went bad. I put the drive in, put the IDE Cable into it and the 4-pin molex and NOTHING! I even unplugged the one remaining original drive. The drive I got is OEM with no disc and the website yielded no drivers I guess, but, my PC does not identify it, and, my setup (F2, or Bios?) says that the CD-ROM is not installed, and, telling the setup that there is a Primary/Secondary Drive and such installed gives me an "UNKNOWN" type of message, and, I get a black screen when booting telling me that those drives are not found and to press F1 to continue or F2 to go to setup.

I am completely mystified as of what the problem could be. The new drive is somewhat different, though, instead of the G: DVD Drive opening into a blank folder, it now asks to insert a disk, even though Morrowind is already in there. The drive is screwed tightly in, and such. I don't know what the problem is. Did I not install something correctly when I put the PSU in? I even used the old IDE Cable (from mobo to drive) from my old 2001 Compaq computer, and still, yielded no results, I also used a different 4-pin molex. Nada. Could it be I don't have my floppy installed? Could this port on my mobo be fried or something (I hope not!). I'll show you a picture of the back of the drive from Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...u00b1R+DVD+Burner+Black+IDE+Model+DH-20A4P-04

I have the IDE/PATA connector plugged in correctly, and the 4-pin molex is in (the drive opens and closes and such as I said, but does not read anything). The "Device Configuration Jumper" is not in... and I never used anything to put in that slot, but, I don't have a cable for it? The OEM didn't come with anything but the drive. The Digital/Analog Audio I've never used, so, I don't think that's the problem.

Please help! :(

Eh, I tried another disc I believe from the same game set, but, it didn't work. I tried the original Morrowind disc I've been trying to install on my moms PC as a test, thinking the same thing as you (bad disc) and yet, it was recognized immediately and ready to go. I've tried to make sure the cable is completely in, and I tried using the "drive 0" configuration instead of "drive 1" yielding no results. The damn thing refuses to recognize it!

Nobody? My problem is the first in the universe to have it occur, I know, but can anyone help instead of no responses?

Is this your only CD/DVD drive in the system?
Set your new DVD drive as master with the jumper.

Start comp and set your hard drive as first boot drive in bios.

Go into device manager and see if DVD shows up as a drive.
If it does, delete it and reboot, let windows re-detect it and re-install it. Windows will automatically install its drivers, no need for a separate disk.

How do I set it as a Master? I haven't done that. Nor do I know how to. What's a jumper? The drive didn't come with one.

What's a jumper? The drive didn't come with one.

This is a jumper:
jumpers.gif

Back
Top Bottom