DVD drive power up

Kage

Golden Master
Can anyone explain why a DVD drive can be installing something, and it taking forever, and then suddenly, you'll hear it powering up after like 10 minutes and it'll install at full speed?

Or is this just me? :rolleyes:

Just re-installing The Orange Box to play a bit of TF2, and just thought I'd throw it up.

On another note, I've just bought COD 4 Modern Warfare for £9.99 from Steam. That is still around £30 in the shops. Its dropped in the past month :D

Could have something to do with the drivers or firmware? Or maybe the drive is going bad?

Taking 10+ minutes to install something is definitely not right.

Is it just that one disc? Do CDs install fine? Is it different for DVDs?

Since it's Valve, you can just install it through Steam bypassing the discs.

Thanks you two. It seems to be the drives fault, and seems to be the same all round in the media side of things.

Stuff plays fine, but when it needs to read a lot of data, it doesn't seem to pick up for a while. You can hear it when it does

I bought an IDE drive, when I should have bought a SATA drive, and I'm guessing that is causing some slow down, but not sure.

It speeded up anyway, and played a bit of TF2. I'm crap... I'll just say that

Sometimes it does this when it's computing space requirements and such, so it would actually be your HDD slowing it down (I think)

Back
Top Bottom