DVD drive compatible with compaq

mikee

Fully Optimized
I just added an LG dvd drive to a clients compaq presarrio desktop and it seemed to work fine with it but after I left they started to get errors

"This error can be caused by unplugging the removable storage device installed such as an CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage
is properly connected and then restart your computer. If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer'. Status: 0xc00000e9
Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred."

What I was wondering is does compaq have restrictions on their computers so you can only use their replacement parts or what could be causing this error?

Edit: it is running windows 7 32bit and have a pentium dualcore and 1gb ram. That's all the specs I can get for now until I go back over there

Any part should work in any computer so long as it has the correct interfaces and drivers, which the generic drivers will cover, so that isn't an issue.

I would first check device manager in control panel to see if it is correctly installed. If it is, I would either try the drive in a known working computer, or put a known, working drive in their computer and see if it works

I don't really have an extra hdd lying around are there any free programs that can diagnose a potential issue with a hdd? The person did say that someone else serviced her computer a while back and installed a hard drive but the hard drive they put in had an installation of vista on it which came from somewhere else but I wiped that out and put windows 7 home premium on it.

I'm not sure if this is a bsod on startup or what but is there anything I can do to diagnose this if windows won't boot?

I didn't mention a hard drive, when I said drive I meant optical drive, as in another DVD drive ;)

If you can boot into windows, you can find out if the system has been BSODing.

If you have admin access to your computer, you can find out the stop error code and message easily, though it can sometimes be tedious and time consuming, as there is a large list to look through, but we can shorten that time greatly. I will assume you know at least the date that the BSOD occurred

To find out what stop error you had, go the control panel, then administrative tools.

Open up event viewer. You will see on the left of the window a set of 4 folders, like in the picture below. Click Window Logs, then System.

eventviewermenu.png

You will then have a window something like this:

eventviewrmain.png

Click the Date and Time tab, and it will sort the events in ascending order. Go through them until you find an entry that has a level of Error and has an icon with a white ! in a red circle next to it. It will say in the source column BugCheck. Click this and will say, in the box below, something along the lines of:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000007e (0xffffffffc0000005, 0xfffff88004badcf7, 0xfffff880021566a8, 0xfffff88002155f00). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 101110-24367-01.

The first hex value outside of the brackets, in this case 0x000007e, is the stop code

ok im at the persons house and the message comes up before I can get to the startup menu. it says windows is loading files and that bar goes across then it says windows boot manager then below it says the message on a black screen. the windows is loading files thing goes for about 10 min or more before the message happens. any ideas? Need help real quick

same thing thats the first thing i tried
startup repair does not work either, neither does unplugging the dvd drive that was added

So I read online a few days ago somewhere (Sorry I don't have the link) that this may be caused by removable media adapters. Are there any that you can disconnect?

Back
Top Bottom