DVD and CD drives will not recognize disks

jdefran1

Beta member
OS WinXP SP2---When I insert a disk in either one of my drives the icon changes to a generic disk icon. When I click on the icon it opens to an empty file. This is what baffles me: If I right click on the icon and choose eject and then reinsert the disk it is recognized, if I manually open the drive then reinsert the disk I get the same generic disk icon.

Now that is weird...

I have a feeling this is something to do with the built in Windows disk writer with Windows XP.

Basically, if you place a blank disc, instead of using Nero, if the drive can write cd's, it'll open to a blank folder, allowing you to place files in and to write them from there.

But its very weird if its doing that. Is Auto run set to on? So that it'll recognise a disc and ask you how to play it?

Auto run is set to on, downloaded Auto Fix and everything seems to be OK. Both drives are new, but I had the same problem with the old drives (Reason I replaced them).

Talked to a tech at Sony (one of the drives is a Sony) and he told me to download an ASPI error fix, it did not help. He told me to run error check from tools on properties of C drive, it also failed to correct the problem. He was at a loss and told me to call back in the morning when there would be more time to troubleshoot the problem.

Back
Top Bottom