DVD/Blu-Ray Drives hanging Computer!! Please help!

I would try booting from an Ubuntu Live CD.

This is kinda strange though, since he managed to install the OS from the disk in the first place... Allthough it did take 12 hours. What are the spec's of the W7 machine? (edit: Ah, I thought the components you listed where those of your NEW pc, not your HTPC)

I would try booting from an Ubuntu Live CD.

This is kinda strange though, since he managed to install the OS from the disk in the first place... Allthough it did take 12 hours. What are the spec's of the W7 machine? (edit: Ah, I thought the components you listed where those of your NEW pc, not your HTPC)

My thoughts exactly. I was like "hmm 12 hour install? ..must be the drive!.." but he said that it works fine in another computers, so that's why I mentioned RAM, but he also said THAT is fine (I think...I guess the stick he's running COULD be bad; SO OP <--- I'd still check it!). And then after that, I guess there's not much else that would cause a 12 hour install other than the MB. And I really don't feel it's a PSU issue..

I suppose you could get a 12 hour install if it's a bad burn?..maybe?

@dude
Yeah, I didn't test memory thoroughly, but the computer booted ok with just one stick in (and I tried both on their own). I'll do a memtest tomorrow, as well as replace the PSU just in case (with some crappy old one from work)

One thing I noticed is, from the moment I log into the OS, 38% of my memory is being used up - by two svchost processes. I have very little running, all I've installed is a codec pack, really. 99% of the time the HTPC is running windows media center. That said, nothing seems to go slow at all.

I don't think it's a bad burn - Installing Vista as a test had similar problems. I didn't try XP though, admittedly. I just wanted something with media center, and XP doesn't have it (and I'd prefer not use media portal).

As a last resort before I get a motherboard, I'll backup the files I have on there and try to reinstall Windows 7, perhaps with a fresh burn too. I remember I had a similar problem once a couple of PC generations ago, where inserting a CD would lockup the system - reformatting the computer fixed it.

Thanks for your help, guys! Getting a new mobo may be a good opportunity to get a HTPC case too, because I have an old dusty mid tower at the moment.

Regards
Rhys Andrews

UPDATE:
Tried a different PSU - still doesn't work.
Did the memory diagnostic test that windows 7 has - no errors.

I'm going to try one last thing: Installing an OS from an ISO with VirtualBox, and seeing whether it runs CDs from that. If it does, then I know it's a Windows 7 / Installation issue. If it doesn't, I know it's got to be the motherboard.

Thanks again for your help, guys
Rhys

Tried a different PSU - still doesn't work.

Figured that wasn't it.

Did the memory diagnostic test that windows 7 has - no errors.

Use memtest86. The windows one probably isn't reliable.

I'm going to try one last thing: Installing an OS from an ISO with VirtualBox, and seeing whether it runs CDs from that. If it does, then I know it's a Windows 7 / Installation issue. If it doesn't, I know it's got to be the motherboard.

Don't use W7 if you do that (obviously, since you wouldn't eliminate any problems haha).

You could always use a linux live cd.

Thanks again for your help, guys
Rhys

It's why we're here!

@dude
Wasn't sure how I could use memtest86 without a CD... USB drive?
I'll get Linux Live and try that.

I do believe that you can run it from a USB stick, but I do not remember for sure so I won't say if you can or can't (I think you can use a floppy :p). But, I think that if you use a linux live cd, that would definitely tell you if it's a problem at the operating system/driver level if the problem goes away; if the problem persists, then we can be fairly confident it's a hardware failure of either the MB or RAM and we can go from there.

@dude
Never mind that - I took home an external DVD burner from work, and ran Ubuntu off the live CD (btw, the external burner worked fine in Windows 7). Guess what - the blu-ray drive worked! It seemed slightly slow, i.e if I changed the position of a song on an audio Cd, it would stop for a bit while it loaded. But I sort of think that might be Ubuntu's music player.

So I thought I could maybe just reinstall the Windows files for Win 7 64-bit, and so loaded up Windows 7 from the external drive. I selected repair installation.. there's only an option to fix startup problems, load drivers, or do system restore. I'd prefer not do a fresh install, because it took me a fair while to set everything up correctly.

Regards
Rhys Andrews

HOLY CRAP!! I FIXED IT. I was JUST about to reinstall the whole machine and start again.
The problem? I had to open the properties for the ATA Channel in Device Manager and disable DMA. Don't ask me how I figured it out. I am SO pleased with myself. Thanks to all of you who helped me out, I really appreciate your time.

Back
Top Bottom