Dust in computer

well after time it can affect it majorly, if dust gets built up it can trap the heat in, and get caught in the heatsinks and the fans and greatly reduce the airflow and increase the heat

It can affect it quite a bit, dust can be conductive so it can cause shorts. It can also restrict airflow. Its a good idea to clean it out regularly.

lots of dust can have a pretty big effect on the temps. That is the biggest problem, other stuff is very rare, but temps will always increase if there is lots of dust. (as long as it's air cooled)

Our computer gets a lot of dust, and has caused problems recently.

For one, the graphics card has been artifacting recently, and a quick temperature check sat it at 90 degrees IDLE!
I took it out, and dust was everywhere, in caked in the fan blades so no air was getting in or out.

I'm wondering if you can buy dust filters for conventional sized fans, because, you'd just have to remove them and replace just them. You wouldn't get any dust into the system itself.

The filters would be a good idea, u cud probably make some urself from fine meshing if u were patient enough (not me lol).

we sell some fan filters at work... they are nice, but they seem to restrict the air flow a little bit.

Honestly, i'd much rather go wihtout it and just clean out my case once a month.

Kage said:
Our computer gets a lot of dust, and has caused problems recently.

For one, the graphics card has been artifacting recently, and a quick temperature check sat it at 90 degrees IDLE!
I took it out, and dust was everywhere, in caked in the fan blades so no air was getting in or out.

I'm wondering if you can buy dust filters for conventional sized fans, because, you'd just have to remove them and replace just them. You wouldn't get any dust into the system itself.

yea they do make filters, they make it quieter, and as celegorm said, they can restrict air flow, but they keep out the dust and hairs, search ebay for pc fan filter, should come up with a few

I have a big filter at the front of my Antec case was wondering whether to remove that , if it would help the air flow?

Back
Top Bottom