Duplicate on T.V and monitor

emperor76

In Runtime
Hi all, I've made some more space in my living which is great news for my computer, as I've been able to bring it back down connected directly to the router, and to the T.V with a long HDMI lead as well as the monitor so I can get Digital Sound as the T.V is connected to the surround, I have tried to duplicate on to both in the settings but the T.V is displaying in what looks like 4:3, yet on the monitor, it fills the screen, I did manage to get a bigger image on the t.v, but it made moth images appear stretched. Does anyone know if there's a way around this problem, thanks

Ok What vid card do you have and OS? It's a setting in the vid card driver but I have to see what card you have first.

Thanks for the replies, sorry, I should have included more information, I have an AMD Radeon 6450 (unfortunately), Also I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate

Go in the TV HDMI setting and set it for 1920x1080 res. Then go back to the vid card settings and set it to clone the screens. See if that gets it for you.
If you have the monitor connected by DVI or VGA make the TV the primary monitor. I had to jump through a few hoops to get my 39" Emerson to play nice. I finally set it as the primary and works great.

Thanks for the reply, I did briefly look at the video card settings last night, but I was a little worse for wear which didn't help. I shall attempt this when I have dominion over the T.V, even if it will be brief when the kids are in bed. I shall report back with details of my success (hopefully). Thanks again.

I know you said you wanted to clone the display, but I've usually found things to be much better when you extend the displays. It does make it a little annoying when trying to play a video full screen, but really you just need to drag the player window (or your browser if you're streaming) to the TV and then make it full screen.
This way, when you actually use the computer without the TV, it's still the normal resolution, but then you can just turn on the TV and drag the video over to play on the TV. It also has the benefit of being able to do stuff on the computer while a video plays on the TV (might be useful if someone doesn't want to watch the movie or something).

If you really want to clone it, try seeing if you can get the TV's resolution to be forced on the monitor. That way it will look fine on the TV but distorted on the monitor, which you can just turn off and forget about.

Cloning on monitors/TV's of different native resolutions could give unwanted results. Setting each screen to its native resolution will give you the best results.

To avoid the black bars and/or stretched out objects, use wide screen resolutions, and the most used for 16:9 are 1280x720 and 1920x1080. The latter could show in 30Hz (max 30fps without tearing) if the screen is HD ready and not full HD. Your screens could use different ratios (16:10 or ultrawide ratio), so use the corresponding resolutions instead.

I second extending (not spanning) the desktop on the screens instead of cloning. You will have more space to work on. I extend on 3 monitors and 1 HD TV and I feel like I can do unlimited number of tasks in the same time and view. I can play games while, e.g., reading walkthroughs and watching download progresses in the same time.

I cannot help you much here because AMD's Catalyst interface and its features are really unfriendly. It even gives me hell to just show Windows in complete full screen on HD TV's.

Thanks all, been having a go, and I won't lie, I'm immensely confused, especially when trying to work out AMD vision engine control centre. I'm usually panicking about getting other things done on time, so concentrating on the task is even more difficult. Strangely, I used to have my computer on the main t.v permanently on it's own and it worked perfectly without any adjustment, it only seems to be since I brought it down and attatched a monitor via VGA and the t.v via the HDMI that I've had the problem getting it to fit on the screen. As for extending the displays, it probably wouldn't be ideal because the t.v is behind me, part of the reason I'm doing this is for digital sound, but also I get to play Netflix straight through the T.V, and series or film I have stored, and as a bonus, I get to pick which screen I play games on, if it's keyboard /mouse orientated, obviously the desk is the best place to play, also if they're on at the same time, I can see what I'm doing if say I'm putting a film on, without the need to twist round to see the T.V. I do have a laptop on a little table next to my computer which does serve the multitasking thing at least to a certain extent though. I will take all solutions into account while trying to work it out, but it might take me a while to do, as I am only getting small amounts of time at the minute. This is the model number of the T.V I'm using if it makes any difference le32a436t1d. The monitor is a CIBOX lw1922c, not brilliant, but it was £5 so I wasn't complaining.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom