Dumb Question about processors

dscofever

Solid State Member
OK...I am very technologically deficient...so go easy on me.

I know about Ghz. But not about Duo and Quad processors and their ratings. Is a 1.6Ghz Duo like having a 3.2 Ghz processor? Or am I just totally lost in the world of computers.

Also, are there any "gaming" type computers out there for around $500.00 that won't be outdated in 3 months? And to make things harder, any "gaming" laptops around that price?

Like I said, please go easy on me.:rolleyes:

duo stuff has 2 cores. Though having a dual core 1.6Ghz and a single core 3.2Ghz is a differnet thing, doesn't work like that. Quad has 4 cores.
Right now you would want to buy a dual core cpu since single cores are kinda outdated and quad cores are quite expensive and there really aren't any programs that efficiently use all of the 4 cores.

Can you try to expand on this a little.

For instance, I saw a buddy play Battlefield 2 and would like to try to play it. System requirements say 1.7Ghz as the minimum. So do I need to get a 1.7Ghz Dual Core? Or would a 1.4Ghz Dual core work just fine? And how do I calculate the Ghz rating on Dual and Quad cores?

Can you try to expand on this a little.

For instance, I saw a buddy play Battlefield 2 and would like to try to play it. System requirements say 1.7Ghz as the minimum. So do I need to get a 1.7Ghz Dual Core? Or would a 1.4Ghz Dual core work just fine? And how do I calculate the Ghz rating on Dual and Quad cores?

Um battlefield is 1.7GHz single core. That means sorta older processors. Yes, a 1.4GHz Dual Core will play battlefield great. Dual core is more then 2 times better than single core. For example, 1.8GHz Dual Core is 2 times better than 1.8ghz single core.

Um battlefield is 1.7GHz single core. That means sorta older processors. Yes, a 1.4GHz Dual Core will play battlefield great. Dual core is more then 2 times better than single core. For example, 1.8GHz Dual Core is 2 times better than 1.8ghz single core.

Now you are talking my language. Thanks for the help.

How much should I expect to pay for a descent gaming computer? I prefer laptops. middle of the road graphics card, descent dual core processor...Thanks for any help you can give.

What you said is a paradox. A decent gaming computer cannot be a laptop. As for the price, I can recommend you a GREAT gaming computer for $900 if you are willing to manually build it.

Now you are talking my language. Thanks for the help.

How much should I expect to pay for a descent gaming computer? I prefer laptops. middle of the road graphics card, descent dual core processor...Thanks for any help you can give.

check out my sticky they range from 600$-1400$

hang on is it me or has no 1 failed to mention the fact that you simpley cant compare C2D CPU's with single core CPU's.

like some1 said a 1.6Ghz C2D would be twice as good as a 1.6Ghz single core thats complete crap it would more likely be bout 8 times better than the single.

but you just cant compare dual core cpu's with single core cpu's for instance
the best pentium 4 processor out there would not compare to the cheapest Core2Duo there C2D would just destroy it in any benchmark

every prossesor is different the way its built
the way it uses information
some r better then other
wats better one large powerful engine or 2 weaker engines working together?
the 2 week ones
so lets say u got a pentuim 4 3.2ghz
and a core 2 duo e6600 2.4 ghz
all tho the pentuim 4 runs faster then
the core 2 duo it dosnt have 2 engines to devide the work up
thats on simple terms
but when u get more complicated u have stuph called pipelines
(wair the info in a cpu trails to be porssessed)
the more pipelines and the more info they can move along in a shorter time will give u a faster loading time for the program
a good example would be a pentuim dual core
and a core 2 duo
a pentuim d can run at 3 ghz unoverclocked in the box
and your can have a core 2 duo clocked at 2.0 ghz
all tho they are both dual cores
the core 2 duo has a higher front side buss
the d had way to low of an fsb while the core 2 duo had a much
larger one
since is had a much larger one it will be able to prosses info much much faster
put that with better pipelines and other stuph and it allows the core 2 duo to work much better then the pentuim d
(plus the over clock much better)=P

Back
Top Bottom