Dual Monitor set up

wiktorek01

Daemon Poster
I got a two monitor set up. One is a 17 inch CRT and the other a 15 inch LCD. Recently my computer would shutdown and then when I would turn it on, all I would hear are beebing noises and nothing would appear on my monitors (they stay black, like as if they were off). The only was I fix this problem is by hooking only one monitor up, and then all would be well. Then I would hook up the second and the computer would be fine. The shutdown has only happened to me twice. Why may that be?

-Thanx-

Video Card: Geforce 5700 LE 256 MB

The first thing that came to mind was that it's looking for a default monitor, and having both connected confuses it. *shrugs* That seems it would be more of a problem with 2 video cards, though...

There's a beep code for no video, but I can't think how it sounds right off(like 3 long beep, 2 short...hell I'd remember if I heard it ;P) What's yours sound like?

i can't really remember because i didnt pay much attention to it. But after the computer would settle down, i would hit buttons on my keyboard, and when i hit Enter, i heard the Windows welcome scheme

That incident happened to be too, but in my case my secondary monitor was my TV. Iincidently it only lasted the time of the boot-up, I couldn't access my BIOS on my monitor, but I could see it on my TV. So by trying things I found the only way to solve this problem was to unplug the TV. From what I have read it is a refresh rate problem. The LCD must be at a much lower rate than a monitor or TV. Does it still do it when you disconnect (software-wize) the secondary monitor; or have you tried setting the LCD to its lowest refresh rate. Maybe by trying different things like removing plug and pray in the BIOS, adjusting the aperture etc. you'll find a solution, or live with it the way it is!

Ah, I was about to ask about that... If you can get to windows, it's most definetly the no video beep. I'm still not sure what would cause it. Refresh Rates and all shouldn't be an issue with such a new card. I would figure it would just clone the video, or always have some primary display selected, but I suppose not.

Maybe you should look around and see if others have similar problems. Maybe there's a firmware update or something...

Back
Top Bottom