dual monitor questions

liamspain96

Solid State Member
>> dual monitor questions <<

hello, i will soon be doing my first computer build and i want to ask a few questions about monitors.
i dont want to run an eyefinity setup because i just wouldnt be able to concentrate on the massive screen size but i am considering buying 2 monitors and having a setup where i have one monitor for gaming and another for checking things like skype, youtube and Facebook. first of all, is this even possible??
if so, this is mainly so i dont have to tab out and just generally because i think it looks pretty nice and professional.
but the main question is that can you run the general monitor from the cpu's integrated graphics and then have the gaming monitor run from the graphics card??
and if you can, would you still be able to use the control panel to combine them into one large monitor when using both monitors generally??
the main reason for this ofcourse is to not impeed the performance of the graphics card while gaming.
for anyone who wants to know what cpu, graphics card and monitors i am considering buying, they are as follows:
i7 3770k (with integrated intel hd 4000 graphics)
msi 6970 lightning 2gb
iiyama prolite 22e2273hds

Last edited:
For running one game on two screens you'd need something like DualHead2Go so your PC thinks the two screens are only one.

As for the dual monitors, chances are your GPU will have more than one output anyway.

Thanks :) i don't want to run games on 2 monitors as i mainly play fps games and having a monitor bezel in the middle of the screen wouldn't really work when aiming down sights haha. But i was wondering if you could use the cpu's integrated graphics on the second monitor so the graphics card does not suffer when gaming. Im guessing this is possible as many mobo's come with hdmi and dvi ports on the back for the integrated graphics

Just bare in mind that when you are playing games on your primary monitor you won't be able to access what is on your second monitor unless you run all you games in windowed mode. And on some setups your second monitor goes black when running fullscreen games on your primary screen.

Also note that you GPU temps and load will go up a bit. So don't be alarmed when they do. It's not by a great deal usually but some people get concerned if they are the kind of people to keep a close eye on what their system is usually up to.

Back
Top Bottom