dual monitor problems

knexkid

Beta member
Well this might get slight confusing, I will try to explain my dilemma as best as
I can, so bear with me. I have fiddled with the nVidia settings for at least an hour with no avail (I do have the latest drivers) What I am trying to do is set up a dual display thing. I have a 22 inch 1600x1050 monitor and I have a small 7 inch screen that I can hook up to my nVidia 6800 graphics card through the S-video. What I want to do is keep my normal desktop as I have it. I have it set at native resolution, etc. I want to make it possible to display things such as widgets (I have the yahoo widget program) or certain programs like Media Player on the small display. That way I can play a game or something on my normal big screen and still see a clock, other widgets, etc on the small screen. I have found out I can clone the two screens which doesn't work because it displays the same thing twice. I can try the horizontal/vertical span but that hasn't worked either. It screws up the look of my normal display. I want it to remain normal 1600x1050 while the small screen stays at say 800x600 or smaller. Want I really want is basically these screens to be unrelated, if that makes sense. Each running independently but still allowing me to easily drag windows/widgets/etc from one screen to another. Is there a way to do this? Do I need a different program? Please let me know if you have any questions.

Summary: Have one display show my desktop, start bar, task bar, all that jazz. Have the other smaller display be like a second desktop without any start bars/etc but still being able to display things like widgets and other programs.

Thanks!

I had heard that once before a while ago, but I don't see these dual view settings anywhere! I have the lastest drivers, and my only options are clone, and then horizantal or verticle span! Do I need to download different drivers or something to get dual view? Thanks

can you hook up the smaller monitor with vga or dvi connection? Might be because you have it connected with S-video.

I thought you had to use both DVI outputs to get dual monitor mode.

I may be wrong but using the S-VIDEO and 1 DVI output would'nt work.

Best to check with Nvidia or the manual.

I've only ever used two DVI or VGA outputs and that S-VIDEO just diplayed the same image as your primary DVI or VGA output.

Like I say I could easily be wrong

The s-video is for hooking up a TV or something (in my case, this little lcd monitor). It acts just like a second monitor, so it doesn't matter if you hook it up via vga, dvi, svideo, composite, or whatever. The only way I can hook up this little screen is with svideo.

right soounds to me u want it set as extended desktop and not dual screen i cant remember how i did it coz my set up is

17 inch monitor as primary display on VGA

and

32 LCD tv as extended desktop on s Video

and to be honest i cant remember how i did it i just connected them booted up and it says new monitor detected how would u like it to be displayed and there was 3 options duplicate, span over both monitors, and a 3rd which cnt member what its called but it explains about using each screen as a desktop which are independant from each other

il post 2morrow or something when im on my dekstop which has the dual screen set up

try this

1.remove the little monitor (thats connected through S video)
2. reboot computer
3. load back upto windows so nvidia recognises u only got 1 monitor
4. shutdown pc
5. connect little monitor through s video as well as ur main screen
6. boot up windows and c if the new monitor wizard comes up the 1 i explained about above
7. if it does choose the independant option and you will then be able to drag windows to the little monitor

note: windows trains itself to know what program u want to load on what monitor e.g if you open media play 4 times and every time u drag it over the the second monitor it will then load staright onto the second monitor as default

note: windows trains itself to know what program u want to load on what monitor e.g if you open media play 4 times and every time u drag it over the the second monitor it will then load staright onto the second monitor as default

nah, it just opens the program to the same place where you closed it the last time.

Back
Top Bottom