Dual Monitor and CCTV issue

vik1

Beta member
hi all,

i hope you can help me solve a little query.

i have got a Dell vostro pc. the graphics card in the back has one vga port and next to it a DVI port.

further up near the USB's is one more VGA port.

I have my main monitor plug directly into the DVI and works fine.

i have a second monitor that has the VGA lead coming directly out of it.

i want my CCTV box (which has a VGA output port on it) to hook up to the second monitor.

So when i want to check the CCTV i can do, but also when i turn of my pc the cctv can be seen.

But then also use the second monitor as a extended monitor?

any help or advise please?

thanks in advance

What model monitors do you have?

The easiest solution I can think of is to have the monitor connected to the VGA on the PC set as the primary monitor and the one connected DVI secondary. Connect the CCTV box to the available VGA port on the secondary monitor and when you want to view the CCTV, simply switch the source on the monitor.

I have a similar setup with my PC connected to the DVI on my monitor and my Mac connected to HDMI.

What model monitors do you have?

The easiest solution I can think of is to have the monitor connected to the VGA on the PC set as the primary monitor and the one connected DVI secondary. Connect the CCTV box to the available VGA port on the secondary monitor and when you want to view the CCTV, simply switch the source on the monitor.

I have a similar setup with my PC connected to the DVI on my monitor and my Mac connected to HDMI.

This is definitely the best way to do it. I did something similar to hook up two computers to one monitor (one plugged in with VGA, the other with DVI).

The only other way would be to get some kind of VGA switch. There are KVM's which you could plug your computer and the CCTV into, but it seems a little overkill for this.

only problem is my second monitor has only one vga port and the lead is coming out of it directly.

my main does have two ports but as the name suggests its my main monitor which is larger and is directly in front of me. and the second monitor is a cheap smaller screen.

so the idea was:

when im using the computer i would use second monitor as a extend...but when my dad uses it (or when pc turned off), my dad would rather use one main monitor and the second to be set to cctv.

i dont know if my second monitor is on its way out so i dont mind buying another cheap monitor or a switch if this can resolve the issue?

When i turn my pc on, the second monitor screen would remain white. i would then have to right click, screen resolution and play around with the screen resolution putting it up and down from 1920 x 1080 to 800 x 600 and any in between. the screen would then refresh (wait for 15 seconds) and turn white again and then eventually work after 5-6 times.???

Main monitor is Dell E2211H (Digital) with VGA and DVI Port

Second monitor with one VGA lead coming directly out of it is a HP 700P (MA-782K)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom