dual core issues

kchi55

Fully Optimized
i bought an AMD 3800+ x2 dualcore processor over the winter, built my first computer, everything went great. i discovered that i needed to set affinity though everytime i wanted to play cs 1.6, with one cpu off i got constant 100 fps and with it off i got like... 9 can someone explain to me why that happens? and will i need to do this with future games as well?

kchi55 said:
i bought an AMD 3800+ x2 dualcore processor over the winter, built my first computer, everything went great. i discovered that i needed to set affinity though everytime i wanted to play cs 1.6, with one cpu off i got constant 100 fps and with it off i got like... 9 can someone explain to me why that happens? and will i need to do this with future games as well?

Counter strike was made long before dual core came out, so its not optimized for it. Most current and all future games will support dualcore, so no worries.

It's probably just that game. Try running a newer game like Doom 3, and seeing if you get similiar results.

kchi55 said:

Heh, thats such an old game for such a nice CPU.. anyhow, cs 1.6 is VERY old, Dual core wasn't even on the horizon when it was released. As games start to take advantage of dual core technology, you will not need to go in and set the affinity. thats strange though.. as I recall, with both cores enabled, cs 1.6 got like 400+ fps and was totally unplayable because of how fast it was... *shrugs*

yeah i don't get these problems on HL2 or CoD2, i was just curious why only my cs 1.6 got the issues. thanks

Back
Top Bottom