dual core cpu

Celticsfan

Banned
Does it matter if my current cpu is a single core cpu if I want to put in a dual core in my computer or does it depend on the mobo? If so, my mobo d945gtp so could someone please tell me what dual core's are compatible with my cpu.

thx

pentium D, pentium 4 and celeron Ds are supported by your motherboard...

so you can run pentium D dual cores, but not core2duos...

It does depend on your mobo;

a quick google search shows:

Support for an Intel® Pentium® D Processor in an LGA775 socket with an 800 MHz system bus
Support for an Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor in an LGA775 socket with an 800 or 533 MHz system bus
Support for an Intel® Celeron® D Processor in an LGA775 socket with a 533 MHz system bus
View all supported processors

Are supported by your mobo.

http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/d945gtp/index.htm

That'd be a no.

pentium D, pentium 4 and celeron Ds are supported by your motherboard...

so you can run pentium D dual cores, but not core2duos...

PentiumD makes a dual core?

Gross, it's like sticking two pieces of poo together to make super poo !

PentiumD makes a dual core?

Gross, it's like sticking two pieces of poo together to make super poo !

straight from the Intel spec website...

Revved up multitasking
With an Intel Pentium D processor-based PC featuring two full processing cores, you get the flexibility and performance to handle multimedia entertainment, digital photo editing, even multiple users, simultaneously.

actually, I believe all pentium Ds are dual cores, I assumed that's what the "D" stood for (I could be wrong though)...

Interesting, I am just that unfamiliar with Pentium D's..

I figured the "D" stood for Doody ;)

indeed but exactly the same chipset, so i reckon it would take it.

i just dont believe manafacturers nowa days they make a board and say it wont take some cpu's so u have to buy the next motherboard up/

QFT! Don't waste your money on a Pentium D.

actually, I had one for a while and will use it for a backup if anything happens to my E6600 until I can get a new one, it's not that big of a drop in performance, at least I didn't notice a huge increase in performance going to the E6600 from it...

Back
Top Bottom