Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-31-2005, 09:01 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Default Dual Channel RAM

Hey guys.

I have another question. I was just looking at my RAM on Newegg comparing it to something else, and I noticed someone said that they have it running in dual channel. Well, I know my current motherboard doesn't support that, but the one I ordered does. Is there a setting in the BIOS that will just simply allow me to use dual channel? I know I'm looking at the same RAM I got... But I thought you had to have dual channel RAM as well as a motherboard... I wasn't planning on switching to dual channel... But if I can, I'll sure want to!

Jamxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 09:39 PM   #2
kev
In Runtime

Default Re: Dual Channel RAM

No there is no setting. It is set by the way you install the ram also to run in dual chan you need to buy your ram in pairs for example. 1gig would be 2 512mb sticks 2gigs would be 2 1gig sticks
If you have 4 RAM slots |||| like so you would install your ram in slot 1 and 3 then if you were to buy more you would put them in 2 and 4

Sound Card - Creative Labs Audigy 2 Value
Harddrives - Seagate 300GB SATA150 / WD 120gb 3DMark03 Score- 8685 3DMark05 Score - 3392 AquaMark3 Score - 52,275
kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:43 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

I have two 512 sticks. So, I would need to put them in non-adjacent slots? And that's all I have to do?

However, I have the exact same RAM, but it was bought at different times. Will this matter?
Old 01-01-2006, 05:51 PM   #4
In Runtime

Granted my knowledge on this stuff is still limited, I think I can answer your question:

If the specs of the RAM are the same, then you'll have no problems running them as dual-channel. If they're different company models, you can still probably get by with it (read this on overclock.net) but it's not recommended, on the off chance it didn't work.

Time of purchase shouldn't hold any significance, only the actual attributes of said RAM.
Legion Kreinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:54 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

That's what I was thinking. They have the same model number, so they're matched exactly except for time of purchase.

Well, this is awesome! Haha, I'm glad I read that review! Or I wouldn't have known!
Old 01-01-2006, 07:15 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to badninja3

wait. so if i go out and buy 2 of the same memory(ram) sticks, i can dual channel them(assuming my mobo supports it)? like they dont have to be made in a certain way?
badninja3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:49 AM   #7
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura

Quote:
Originally Posted by badninja3
wait. so if i go out and buy 2 of the same memory(ram) sticks, i can dual channel them(assuming my mobo supports it)? like they dont have to be made in a certain way?
the ram has to support the dual channel.

"Time of purchase shouldn't hold any significance, only the actual attributes of said RAM."

haven't tested that myself, but someone said that they might not work if they were brought at different times. But u can always try it.

And atleast some mobos do have the feature to turn dual channel on/off. It should be in the bios.