Dual-Booting XP & Vista

~NeonFire372~

Golden Master
I have Vista installed on my computer, and it has two partitions that have been there since the beginning, the C drive and D drive.

The C Drive is where all my stuff is and Vista is installed.
The D Drive is empty, but when I made it show hidden files I saw two folders. Recycle.bin and system volume information or something like that.

Can I install XP in the D partition? [It's 10GB, 70MB used]

If so, how will I choose which operating system I want?

Yes, you should be able to. Windows takes around 7gb or so, just choose to boot from CD and erase that partion on the D drive..then format it and install

But is it safe to format the D drive? Like is it something Toshiba specifically has on there that I shouldn't delete or anything? :confused:

Lol, the D drive IS for windows XP, if thats the OS it came with..most likely it is just one HDD one formatted into C: and one formatted into D:. It should be safe.

Im guessing his comp came with Vista coz he has only had it a few days. Have you got a restore CD with the computer? Is there any documentation about restoring the computer? Its possible that the D partition could be a restore partition for your OS. Check all your documents.

Spec said:
Lol, the D drive IS for windows XP, if thats the OS it came with..most likely it is just one HDD one formatted into C: and one formatted into D:. It should be safe.
My computer came with Vista. It has never had XP and there isn't anything in D besides hidden system files. I checked the documentation from Toshiba, and it really sucks, there's nothing in it besides showing what each port on the laptop does (ex. USB, modem, etc.) and accessories I can buy.

So have you got a restore disc? If you havent, then what you meant to do if your system screws up?

Back
Top Bottom