Dual booting

superman22x

Golden Master
So here's the deal...
I have Vista on my main harddrive, it's my main OS. I now want to create an "editing" OS. I have 3 harddrives, my two main 250gbs, and then an extra 40gb.
For my editing OS, I can't use Linux like I had inntially wanted too, because its fast, and unique, lol. So I am now going to use Windows XP Black edition. What would be the best way to install it? On the extra 40gb harddrive, or on a seperate partition on my main harddrive?

I have never dual booted, so I really have no clue...

Also, I want to creat an editing OS for my friend, he runs XP, but it is so craped up and slow that he could use a format, but doesnt really want too... But he likes the idea of an editing OS, but the only software he will use is Sony Vegas 8. So should I make him an editing OS with XP Black edition as well?
His specs are:
P4 2.6ghz LGA775
DDR2 400 - 512mb
He really could use a dual core...
For his OS, I would give him and extra 40gb I have sitting around.

It would be recommended to put it on a separate drive, although it will also work in a separate volume/partition. Do not use the same volume. Then you just install it and edit the boot.ini file to list both operating systems when the computer boots.

You make it sound simple... lol. How do I edit the boot.ini file?

I made an attempt at it... I installed XP on one drive, but when I changed the boot order to boot my Vista drive, it still booted the XP one...

You make it sound simple... lol. How do I edit the boot.ini file?

Windows has some built-in tools that will edit the file. In Vista, go to System Properties. On the left, go to Advanced System Settings, at the bottom, Startup and Recovery. There you would choose your default operating system. Also, make sure that the checkbox that says "Show List of Operating Systems" is checked. In earlier operating systems you could directly edit the boot.ini there by clicking a button.

The list may not have your XP operating system, so you would edit it from there. Most likely the boot.ini file would be in the root directory of your primary drive. Open it in notepad, and add an entry similar to this ... (I will explain each parameter in a second):

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Timeout = Length of time the prompt will stay until the default OS is loaded.

We will focus on the [operating systems] section.

If you have two entries, each one would go on a line. Multi is the disk controller, leave that at zero. Also leave "disk" at zero unless you have a RAID controller and the BIOS is disabled. Instead, to tell the boot.ini file to look on the separate hard drive, you will change the "rdisk" value. "0" is the primary, and additional hard drives are given "1", "2", etc. in order of importance. After that, specify the partition. Play around with the settings until you find the correct one as it depends on your FAT table. the \WINDOWS or \WINNT you see is the directory on the specified hard disk. The Operating system in quotes is how it will appear in the list, and add /fastdetect at the end for normal operation.

Says I don't have permission to edit the file. When I double click it to open it, it says, "Access Denied." And XP isn't on the pull down menu for default operating system...

Are you able to access your Windows XP installation at all? Maybe by disconnecting your other drive temporarily? Windows XP is friendlier than Vista when it comes to editing the boot.ini file. If you could boot into a DOS prompt and have the "EDIT" command line program available to use, maybe editing it through a DOS prompt would be a viable option. Try these solutions and let me know if anything helps.

Wouldnt let me... I will have to reinstall XP and do it from there I guess... ugh....

Ok, I have it installed now, and I am booted into XP. How do I access the boot.ini file? It must be a hidden file.

Ok, figured it out. Now I need to add an entry like you showed to add Vista to the list.

You have a couple options. There should be a boot.ini tab if you go into msconfig (Start, Run, msconfig). If you can't manually edit it there, then try going to System Properties, Advanced Tab, Startup and Recovery button. I think there's a button to manually edit the boot.ini file from there. If all else fails, allow the ability to view hidden and system files and check the root directory of each drive.

Back
Top Bottom