Dual booting

I don't know yet thats why im trying it out.

I guess its good because there are only like 40 known viruses for linux and about 60,000 for windows.

But besides that, not really sure...yet.

its also not very resource intensive. you can run linux on a very basic machine. and its all open source which is nice, though for a hardcore gamer windows will be the way for a long time.

its also not very resource intensive. you can run linux on a very basic machine. and its all open source which is nice, though for a hardcore gamer windows will be the way for a long time.

Im a little confused with all this stuff about gnome and grub and the terminal though but i think ill learn it soon.

(im running ubuntu)

What you have to consider using Linux is that all the distros are modular OSes, compared to Windows and MAc, that are compiled in one. There's the problem for new users: It's too modular.

What I mean by modular OS, is that it can be modified the way you want. Like a car. You can get new parts inside, a blower, some of them adds a new dash interface, and all that.
Linux is the same thing, just not heavy on the wallet.

There's a Kernel, daemons (services), applications, the GUI (Xfree86, Xorg, etc), and the actual Desktop Environement (KDE, Gnome, Xfce, etc).

Im a little confused with all this stuff about gnome and grub and the terminal though but i think ill learn it soon.

(im running ubuntu)

Think of Linux as an ice cream store. Ubuntu, Gnome, Gentoo, etc. are all ice cream. Just different flavors. And while they're all still ice cream, they have different tastes for different people.

[/end worse analogy ever]

The different distros such as ubuntu, gnome, gentoo, etc. are all different versions of the same basic operating system that have been designed with more specific purposes. Ubuntu is generally the 'easy' one to use, being easy to install and what not. Gentoo has portal which power-users tend to appreciate, and so on. They all have different strengths.

I actually PMed Wmorri about linux as his sig says Linux Forever...

and he recommended me to Ubuntu as this is my first real linux experience.

I am working on partioning my HD to be a good size for that while still keeping plenty of room for XP

so I need to do some research about what the size im determing in the new partition or the partition that XP is installed on. haha

Think of Linux as an ice cream store. Ubuntu, Gnome, Gentoo, etc. are all ice cream. Just different flavors. And while they're all still ice cream, they have different tastes for different people.

[/end worse analogy ever]

The different distros such as ubuntu, gnome, gentoo, etc. are all different versions of the same basic operating system that have been designed with more specific purposes. Ubuntu is generally the 'easy' one to use, being easy to install and what not. Gentoo has portal which power-users tend to appreciate, and so on. They all have different strengths.
Gnome is not a distro, but a desktop environement.

Usually, distros, like openSUSE, PC Linux, Sabayon, and more, offers their specific selection of software, support and bug releases. Most of them comes with their own set of software and modifications for their own needs. Opensource is great, as you can copy from someone else, without having risk of legal actions.

Gnome is not a distro, but a desktop environement.

Usually, distros, like openSUSE, PC Linux, Sabayon, and more, offers their specific selection of software, support and bug releases. Most of them comes with their own set of software and modifications for their own needs. Opensource is great, as you can copy from someone else, without having risk of legal actions.

I dont really get how i down load stuff with ubuntu.

People said stuff about putt sudo then a command in the terminal.

yea that confused me aswell. to run aircrack i had to type "sudo start aircrack-ng" or something random like that. takes time to learn i guess

yea that confused me aswell. to run aircrack i had to type "sudo start aircrack-ng" or something random like that. takes time to learn i guess

What i don't get is, does typing that make it automatically on its own go access that and download it from the web?

Back
Top Bottom