Dual Boot XP And Vista

ssc456

Fully Optimized
hi,

in response to my previous thread http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?p=632609&posted=1#post632609

i have decided i want to dual boot xp and vista.

but i had vista preinstalled on my laptop and dont have a vista disk ....

i have tried http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

that guide and when i try using gparted i just cant move the slider along the bar to shrink the partition even though i have 46 Gb space on my 80 GB hardrive

i tried using my common sense and using partition magic 8 but it wont install on vista and even if it did im guessing ill have the same problem it wont resize it ??

please can some1 help me
thanks in advanced

I tried it last night and had the same problem. So since I couldn't really do anything I just burnt a disk of kubuntu and dual booted that. With kubuntu choosing a partition was MUCH easier. I'll try it again today with XP.

yeh i had it done with ubuntu i imagine its very simialr to kubuntu unless your spelling it wrong lol

well hopefully we can keep this thread alive till we both have it sorted.

if i get it done ill let u know how and hopefully you will do the same

nope raffaz cant shrink it that way it says available size to shrink 0MB i have tried doint it through diskpart and then list disk list volume and shrink and it shrunk 47MB woo hoo

whats up with this is there a lock on my hardrive somehow ??

if it comes to it i think ill reformat but i really didnt want to do that

bullzi i apreciate the reply and you trying to help me but you clearly didnt read my first post i tried that guide and i couldnt resize my partition i have tried

Gparted
Diskpart
partition magic (wont install)

my problem now is that my hardrive is sort of protected for some reason i have 46GB space but i cant resize it at all ???

right i just booted up my ubuntu live cd and tried using the Gparted in there and it still wont work.

i was allowed to move the slider the a smaller size but when i clicked apply it gave me an error saying it cant do it no particular code or special message just cant be resized :(

i really dont wonna have to reformat because i have to have vista as it adds to my knoledge.

I just want to make sure that when you guys say you used GParted, you used the live-CD version of it. If not, give that a shot.

Back
Top Bottom