Dual Boot

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
I'm trying to refresh my memory on Dual boot procedure.

Today I will be reinstalling everything, and want to see if I can get Win XP and Win 7 installed.

So as far as I remember I need to install Win 7 first then install XP right?
When I will be partitioning Win7 I will leave some space for XP, after Win7 installs pop in win XP and use the remaining partision space to install it, correct?
Im using RAID-0

Anything else im missing?

No, install XP first then Win7 on separate partitions. Win7 will take care of the boot manager nicely. Always install the oldest OS first.

No, install XP first then Win7 on separate partitions. Win7 will take care of the boot manager nicely. Always install the oldest OS first.

Yup. You can do it the other way around, but then you need to restore the bootloader, and that can be a bit of a pain at times.

If your processor supports it, you could get Windows XP mode for Win7, if you're dual-booting because of program compatibility.

I have a problem now :(

I installed win 7 1st and now when I try to install XP its giving me BSOD

I use the same process. I boot from CD blue win xp screen shows up and it taking about 2 min to get everything loaded, then is sass "Starting Windows" thats where you select your partitions...etc I get BSOD. Simply installing XP when im in Win 7 also doesnt work, the option to install it is grayed out.

Is there a way to install XP with ought me having to erase win7 again?

Thanks

Like what lucasbytegenius said, if you are wanting to run XP programs on 7, then you can just use XP Mode, works just aswell, plus you don't need to restart every time you want to run an XP Program and plus it saves you disk space :)

Win XP mode is only available in W7 ultimate. In other versions, there is a way to emulate XP, but it hurts performance pretty bad in my experiences.

I have Win7 Ultimate. How do you run it in XP mode? Just change the selection in the compatibility tab for the .exe?

Go to the Microsoft Website. I think it's in the Windows 7 section, you may have to look a bit. It's a download.

Win XP mode is only available in W7 ultimate. In other versions, there is a way to emulate XP, but it hurts performance pretty bad in my experiences.

Not fully true. When I had Pro installed I could get (and was running) XP mode. Currently I have it on my Enterprise install for the 2 programs I need for school that don't quite work right on 7 (darn 5 year old NI software)

Just a little back up here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx

Go to the Microsoft Website. I think it's in the Windows 7 section, you may have to look a bit.
^^Bingo.

I'll post the link for you though:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Assuming it hasn't changed. It's two re-boots of your computer (One per thing you have to install). Make sure all Virtualization technologies are enabled in BIOS first to save yourself an unnecessary reboot.

Back
Top Bottom