Dual (2) x Intel 64bit Xeon 3.4GHz OR AMD Athlon II 250 3.0GHz Processor 2MB Cache

sab188

Solid State Member
I'm building a new tower PC, but before I buy a bad CPU for a higher price than the better one, which one of these would be the better choice??

I've always had intel processors and Dual Intel 64bit Xeon 3.4GHz HT (Hyper Threading) for my new computer seems better to me than AMD Athlon II 250 3.0GHz Processor w/ 2MB Cache.

I don't intend to do any overclocking with my computer (just normal use and HD gaming- I have 1GB Graphics card too). I'm building this PC, and I have all the parts I need apart from the motherboard and CPU, and I'm going to buy the motherboard depending on the CPU I choose.

Any ideas from experienced people? - which of these 2 CPUs would be better for a really fast computer? Basically, which one of these two CPUs is faster, and better for multi-tasking??

what OS are you running??

From personal experience Ive always liked the intel xeons and would go for them

PS : Welcome to the forum and I delete your other duplicate post

Thanks for deleting the other post :) (I tried to but couldnt find a way)

I plan on running Windows 7 Ultimate on the PC I'm building

I'm thinking of the intel xeons too, but it's quite a tough choice :s

It will be my first AMD though

So... question... and yes I see the date on this post... why in the world are you considering an enterprise class server CPU for a new system build? Do you develop software and need that much firepower? You can do much better, Intel OR AMD, than plunking down the cashola on such an expensive purchase.

Xeons are overkill for gaming and general computing. If you're really that interested in a high end Intel CPU, go for one of the i7 2600's or an i5 if you don't need or want the threads offered by the i7.

My question has actually changed a bit.

I managed to get myself motherboards for both chips (I had a motherboard for the intel xeon brand new but had completely forgotten about it, and I just got a board with AM3 socket too).

Since I found I have all of the parts required (apart from CPUs) to build both PCs, I think I'll take the better one and sell the one which is worse (I was going to sell the computer parts separately anyway since right now they have nothing to do).

Which of the computers would be better? The Dual Intel Xeons or the AMD Athlon II?
I cant really clock them for their performance since I havent bought the CPUs yet.

I dont think this is necessary info, but for both PCs, I will put more or less the same hardware in:

- 4GB 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM (I dont think more is needed)
- 600W PSU
- Gigabyte NVIDIA Geforce GT 440 1GB Graphics card pci-e (this should be good for HD gaming)
- Windows 7 Ultimate

I dont think any additional details are needed (in case anyone asks, yes, the motherboards are fully compatible with the CPUs and can support the hardware above).

With these hardware, which CPU would perform better???

in most cases, if not all, Xeons also require registered/ECC RAM whereas the Phenom II does not. Something else to consider.

Back
Top Bottom