DSL question

alphaone

Solid State Member
Does a DSL modem work on any phone line or only on your phone line with the company you got the DSL service from. I mean, could I take the modem to my neighbors house, plug it on his phone line with my computer and evrything and work there?

Thank you

any phone line that is in the vacinity of the house you have the service from. This makes sence because dsl companies have to send/activate only the houses that are subscribed or they wouldn't make very much money.

I'm not entirly sure, but I know that they have to rewire stuff to setup for that pertinular spot in the hosue to work with the dsl modem... best way to find out is to try it out... go over to yuor nabors and see if it works XP then you'll find out first hand.

Chris

it will work but only to the speed of a regular dial up modem. The lines have to be configured through the main swithing office of the phone company in order to get the bandwidth.

lurkswithin said:
it will work but only to the speed of a regular dial up modem. The lines have to be configured through the main swithing office of the phone company in order to get the bandwidth.

right, if they didn't do that, your neighbor could go out and buy a dsl modem and use your account and get dsl for free, and that would be a big no no.

Back
Top Bottom