Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-05-2008, 12:41 AM   #1
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 39
Unhappy DSL Modem

I got DSL now and it's garbage for games. I keep getting kicked for high ping. SBC sent me the Siemens Speedstream 4100 DSL modem and I really think that's the problem. Should I spend $10 on ebay for a used Speedstream 5100 or does anyone know any fast DSL modems. Or am I just screwed. Thanks
__________________

MadSlaveGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:10 AM   #2
xxcobraxx
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: England
Posts: 6,224
Default Re: DSL Modem

The alcatel is ment to be good
__________________

IAntDemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 39
Default Re: DSL Modem

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx cobra xx View Post
The alcatel is ment to be good
Like this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/Alcatel-Speed-To...QQcmdZViewItem
MadSlaveGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
In Runtime
 
CGfreak102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 475
Default Re: DSL Modem

DO NOT GET A ALCATEL, for one they are no longer produced, and they are shit, there is a hole in the firmware, and at my work which is Milwaukee PC, i work in the DSL depeartment and about one in every four we need to replace, i would recommend getting a Zoom x6 those are good and very reliable, and they are a modem and wireless router in one, they are kinda expensive around 60 plus bucks
__________________
Core I7 920 OC'ed to 3.0Ghz, 6GB G.skill DDR3 1333, Intel DX58SO, 500GB seagate 7200RPM + 320GB seagate, EVGA 9800GTX+ , 600W PSU.
CGfreak102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
Golden Master
 
Tommy Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 8,463
Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: DSL Modem

Does the dsl modem have a lot to do with high pings? Or is it more your service provider? I have the speedstream 4200 and I get high pings but I also get to within a couple hundred kbps of the advertised speed so I feel it's pretty fast.
__________________
When all else fails...Ham Radio!

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 39
Default Re: DSL Modem

I'm not sure what it is, some days It comes In great low ping and everything is running smoothly as other days it's terrible seems like I have Dial up keeps dropping the internet, so then I shut off my modem and let it cool off and then it seems fine.
Is this the zoom x6 you're talking about
http://cgi.ebay.com/5590-00-03-Zoom-...QQcmdZViewItem
($13 for shipping)
Yeah Id definitely buy it for $60 but I think that's a router not a modem.
MadSlaveGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:38 PM   #7
xxcobraxx
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: England
Posts: 6,224
Default Re: DSL Modem

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGfreak102 View Post
DO NOT GET A ALCATEL, for one they are no longer produced, and they are shit, there is a hole in the firmware, and at my work which is Milwaukee PC, i work in the DSL depeartment and about one in every four we need to replace, i would recommend getting a Zoom x6 those are good and very reliable, and they are a modem and wireless router in one, they are kinda expensive around 60 plus bucks


Ive owned one, their not crap, their actual one of the best rated out their kid.

dont give me that crap.
IAntDemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
xxcobraxx
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: England
Posts: 6,224
Default Re: DSL Modem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSlaveGarden View Post
I'm not sure what it is, some days It comes In great low ping and everything is running smoothly as other days it's terrible seems like I have Dial up keeps dropping the internet, so then I shut off my modem and let it cool off and then it seems fine.
Is this the zoom x6 you're talking about
http://cgi.ebay.com/5590-00-03-Zoom-...QQcmdZViewItem
($13 for shipping)
Yeah Id definitely buy it for $60 but I think that's a router not a modem.


If your on Virgin telewest the problem is not you!


If you have just paid the bill and your internet cut of its not you its your provider.

Thats only if your late paying the bill as its a bad downstream problem for a few days.
IAntDemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #9
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 39
Default Re: DSL Modem

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx cobra xx View Post
If your on Virgin telewest the problem is not you!


If you have just paid the bill and your internet cut of its not you its your provider.

Thats only if your late paying the bill as its a bad downstream problem for a few days.
Naw the bill is getting paid and I'm using SBC. I still think it's the modem, do the service providers rig these things or something?
MadSlaveGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #10
xxcobraxx
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: England
Posts: 6,224
Default Re: DSL Modem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSlaveGarden View Post
Naw the bill is getting paid and I'm using SBC. I still think it's the modem, do the service providers rig these things or something?


I would of thought so yes

I have a WEBSTAR, Which is the best modem for telewest as so many staff has told me, I ask everytime I phone up lol, but yes, I thing they do and some have firewalls installed.

Also your problem could be WINDOWS XP, Windows xp has Max TCP Connections, well to make your INTERNET 20X FASTER YOU NEED A TOOLD THAT WILL ACCEPT MORE CONNECTIONS!

I can't remember where I found it but i was on google trying to tweak my torrents and I come accross some instructions and it had a .bat file to download, i downaloded it make my tcp ports to 65 which is fast as fuck.

ummm try this, shit hot internet tweak:

http://p2p.weblogsinc.com/2005/04/24...ent-downloads/
__________________

IAntDemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0