Downlooads to HD

Joe2

Baseband Member
I am hoping you can help me. I have some videoas to download and was told to 'right click>>save as' to save them to my HD. When I do this, only 2kb downloads and shows as the browser icon on my desktop. When I click on the icon of course, there is nothing. I can left click and view online OK. but I really want to save them to my HD.

I'm sure it must be something to do with my computer but have no idea what it is. The vendor says there is no problem with the download links and has been unable to give me any advice. I have recently downloaded a video from another source without ant problems and I am not having any problems downloading material in general. My OS is WinXP Pro.

Thanks
Joe Watson

Most videos stream nowadays and so its impossible for you to do that.

Also, if sites dont want you to copy the movies, they'll place them onto a website media player which is also impossible to save.

This is why you get that browser icon and not a movie, so it still needs connection to the internet to run.

Downloads to HD

I'm sorry if my query was a little ambiguous. The vendors instructions were to 'right click>>save as' to save to my HD and left click to view online.
Joe

Yes, in some cases this would be true, if they allow you to do so.

In most cases though, they stream and unless they give you a server to download the fully streamed version to run on your standard player, then I'm afraid this doesn't work.

If they stream, it is almost impossible to just save onto the hard drive and store I'm afraid. Plus, if its saved to play within a webpage, i.e The websites flash player for instance, you have no chance of getting this onto the hard drive through doing it that way.

An example would be to go on here:

www.ign.com

It has movies of up coming games for consoles to download, and these run in Windows Media Player, and they have an option to Save the movie using a seperate link.

I'm afraid its just the way of the web.

...somtimes may I add. Thats not always the case.

Some movies just stream, and this never saves in temporary, as it has to stream again when you next go on it.

This may be the case with some though, possibly.

Downloads to HD

Hello spank_fusion

I would like to try the temp file route but I am a beginner on computers. Could you tell me the location of the temp file I will have to find?

Sorry for being naive.

Joe

there are programs which you can download and save streamed movies.. you type in the url in the media program and hit record then it'll do it's thang.. however, i forgot the name of the program.. i think it was VOD recorder.. good luck ;)

Yeah, there are stream recorders like that which might help you. As for the temporary files, just open up an Internet Explorer window (I'm assuming you're using IE). From there, go to Tools > Internet Options... Then click on the Settings... button under the General tab. Click on the View Files... button in this box to see all of your temporary files.

You might have to delete all the cookies and temporary files to be able to find the movie you want. For example, say your temp file folder is really full. You'll want to delete all that stuff and refresh the page with the movie you want. After refreshing, the temp files for that page should have been stored including the movie (unless it's a stream). Just copy it from there and paste wherever. Hope that helps.

EDIT>> This method is really good for flash videos since there's no direct option to save those from a webpage.

Hello spank_fusion

I'll have a go at the temp idea and let you know howI go on

Joe

Back
Top Bottom