Doubly Checking my PSU...

at first glance the 860w appears to be a great psu that would give you unlimited upgrade potential (two 6 pin and two 8 pin PIC-E connectors), but as you can see, they load up on the +3.3v and +5v rails (97 amps), letting them advertise a huge (860) wattage, even though the two most important rails (+12v) only add up to 36 amps, it would probably run the system and video card you have, but probably isn't any better than some of the 450-600w name brand psus that don't load up on the pretty much useless +3.3v and +5v rails...

do they even have Antec, OCZ, and Coolermaster psus in Australia...? those are very good name recognized brands and I would bet that their 450w-600w psus probably are better and more reliable than that 860w psu, I would be very wary of that 860w psu, 36 total amps and they have enough connectors for two 9800GTXs in SLI with only 36 amps on the two rails...? hmmm, sounds like a psu failure waiting to happen if someone were to take that upgrade path...

but it would probably be fine for your system, though I would suggest one of the tried and true brands, maybe this...? New-Antec-Earthwatts-500Watt

and the Vantec psu that AR linked looks pretty good as well...

Here is australia we have all the brands you yanks have :D

Im just on a budget,i dont need anything extraordinary,but i need something under $60....

That antec one looks good though.

They do have Antecs, OCZs, etc. in Australia, but they are way out of his price range at the moment.

That 600W is a bit weak on the 12v with only 24A. . .

As stated earlier, you would be much better off in the long run getting a good quality, name brand power supply. The no name ones will get you through in a pinch, but i wouldn't trust them any farther than I can throw 'em.

They do have Antecs, OCZs, etc. in Australia, but they are way out of his price range at the moment.

That 600W is a bit weak on the 12v with only 24A. . .

As stated earlier, you would be much better off in the long run getting a good quality, name brand power supply. The no name ones will get you through in a pinch, but i wouldn't trust them any farther than I can throw 'em.

I agree. The power supply is a VERY important component. If it craps out on you, there is a chance it can fry your other system components to crap as well. But ultimately, you buy what you can afford. Having a good quality psu is essential to having a solid computer build.

Here is australia we have all the brands you yanks have :D

Im just on a budget,i dont need anything extraordinary,but i need something under $60....

That antec one looks good though.

I have a feeling that it may jump out of your price range though, if you can go a bit over or skimp on a plain jane case for now, I would get the Gigabyte psu and plan for your dream case later...

though aesthetically pleasing, a case is just functional eye candy for the most part, a psu is way more important and often gets overlooked...

Back
Top Bottom