So I was doing some various tweaking on my system today, and I decided to try a couple internet optimizing tools. I ran across two in particular that looked interesting. Unfortunately, I can't tell for sure which really helped because I ran them both, but you guys have to check this out.
Using the speedtest.net bandwidth test, my download speeds went from 1,900 kbps to 3,700 kbps. Upload speeds stayed basically the same. I have cable internet, and this is high usage time in my area. The first thing I thought when I saw the gauge go up after applying the tweaks was "holy sh*t!"
The first tool is TCP Optimizer. This one most likely helped the most. It's very simple to use, all you do is put in your tested download speed, (again, I used speedtest.net) hit the optimal settings button, and hit okay.
Next, I used a tweak to allow you to open more TCP connections. I doubt this helped for the speed test, but it will greatly enhance torrent/P2P speeds. XP SP2 is set to only allow 10 TCP connections per second. It's basically to help prevent the rapid spread of viruses/malware. Unfortunately, in P2P, you want tons of connections in order to get as much speed as possible. This tweak changes that to 50. Note that the optimal range is between 50 and 100, more is not always better.
Note that some virus detectors spot this one as a virus. (including NOD32) I assure you it's not. This is simply because many viruses use the same technique to try to spread themselves more rapidly.
Anyway, hopefully this helps you guys out too. Try it out, and post back some results!!
EDIT: The speedtest.net server I used must have been under high load. I went to the dslreports test, and got 25,000 kbps!!! That's OVER 3 MBPS!!!