dos runs wrong

killzoneman0

In Runtime
i've just reinstalled my windows xp os and everything, and now dos runs weird. first off, where you put the command it says,

C:\DOCUME~1\LARRYD~1>

i'm not sure what the normal startup directory is, but i know its not that.

also, when i close it by hitting the x on the top righthand corner, it brings up that windows error message where its says, "Windows cannot end this program, ect."

any ideas as to whats wrong and how to fix it?

killzoneman0 said:
i've just reinstalled my windows xp os and everything, and now dos runs weird. first off, where you put the command it says,

C:\DOCUME~1\LARRYD~1>

i'm not sure what the normal startup directory is, but i know its not that.

thats where mine starts it, so i'm assuming its normal for that on XP.

I'm assuming you mean the Windows command prompt?

To change the current directory (like C:\DOCUME~1\LARRYD~1 , the command is cd. So if you wanted to make the current directory the root of the C drive the command would be:

Code:
cd C:\

What C:\DOCUME~1\LARRYD~1 basically is is My Documents. That is the default directory for the command prompt, so there's no problem.

FYI - DOCUME~1 is a shortcut for the folder Documents and Settings and LARRYD~1 is a shortcut for your username that Windows uses.

its not dos anymore, its just a command line interface for windows. and i would agree that there is nothing wrong with your system, exactly what it should say.

Also, when you close it with the X, that's normal, does that on every computer, just type "exit" without quotation marks..

joxley1990 said:
Also, when you close it with the X, that's normal, does that on every computer, just type "exit" without quotation marks..

doesn't do it with my computer...

The path you get under command prompt is a short name, I didnt think we got those anymore if we used NTSF.

Second, sometimes command prompt will not appear to be responding, this all depends on the state of a command. It will not respond if it's running a command.

Back
Top Bottom