Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-16-2005, 10:01 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Don't laugh

I installed my first upgrade and it worked.It was a 2 port fire wire.How does it work without a driver? It came with a patch cord (nice) and editting software, but no driver and it works great.

There are messages that finally stopped that said it wasn't going to work but it does.I have a new Dell with XP

kgveteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 10:07 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Starr Send a message via MSN to Starr
Default Re: Don't laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran
I installed my first upgrade and it worked.It was a 2 port fire wire.How does it work without a driver? It came with a patch cord (nice) and editting software, but no driver and it works great.

There are messages that finally stopped that said it wasn't going to work but it does.I have a new Dell with XP
It works without a driver because Windows XP is great with plug and play. When you install hardware like that Windows will search for a driver that will work with that hardware. It is a neat feature in XP that often goes unnoticed.

Windows Vista Business Edition

"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who know binary and those who don't."
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 10:14 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to winterfreshpwnz Send a message via MSN to winterfreshpwnz

Yeah it truly is, and they usually get recent drivers not some old washed up drivers that barely work. It's a really handy feature.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:15 PM   #4
Baseband Member

Made me feel like a champ.Next the soundcard..............hmmmm
Old 07-16-2005, 10:17 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to winterfreshpwnz Send a message via MSN to winterfreshpwnz

lol, and what about your sound card?
Old 07-16-2005, 10:31 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

ok now, congrats are in order! and you did fine, but didn't you say that windows popped up a message saying the new hardware may not work properly?
Although it seems to be working and all that you need to go to the manufacturer's site of that firewire card and download their drivers. What XP did was just installed a Generic version. They will work but you will not get full benefits of the installed hardware.
At the website....look dor tech support>downloads or just downloads and somewhere you will be asked to match the model number of your hardware and then you will get a download link or the likes. I always download as saved to the desktop. Then from the desktop I will either create a new folder and place it where evere it should go, or just open the file and it is self extracting and will load itself in the correct place.
You must then go into the device manager and locate the new card (1394, IEEEE ) and then highlight it and select properties and then press update the drivers and it will reinstall the new driver files. Either that are you need to uninstall the drivers in which it will uninstall the new card and then reboot as windows comes back up it will find the new hardware and then install the correct new drivers. That is how the system works... and no one is going to laugh at you for not understanding.
lurkswithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 10:33 PM   #7
Baseband Member

Well turtle beach makes a six channel that has an optical (tos-link) output.It will allow me to send digital audio to my new Outlaw Audio 990 preamp and still have a functioning input(line-in).

For some reason if I plug a cable into my USB port on my new Dell it disables the input of the sound card.I don't know why but it does.My solution is to upgrade to a new sound card that gives me a digital out and a functioning input.

I do sound analysis of my hometheater with my computer and I need the sound to "Loop" with the audio out and line in. I can't use the analog out because my preamp will not send that signal to the bass management section of my preamp........yada yada yada....
Old 07-16-2005, 10:36 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

Sorry, don't know much about sound cards and I/O, etc. but I'm sure someone has some idea on what the issue is.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:40 PM   #9
Baseband Member

It's one of those niche things.Whats most important is that you guys have quite a few tricks up your sleaves and for a newbie that is a vry good thing.

I would give all this advice on Hometheater on another forum and always complain about not knowing anything about my computer.Dah, go to a computer forum and there is a wealth of information.Thanx guys!
Old 07-16-2005, 10:43 PM   #10
Baseband Member

Thanx Lurkswithin.