Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-07-2006, 12:07 PM   #21
Fully Optimized

Default Re: It Is Done!

Bump up the voltage for the RAM. What sticks do you have?

ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:27 PM   #22
Fully Optimized

I did. I have two 512 megabyte sticks not running in dual channel (I changed it this morning to see if it would help). The voltage for the RAM was at 2.7 volts. I know that it's my RAM, though, my CPU is not running over 44 degrees Celsius at load, but every time I go into Far Cry with all settings up all the way, after a few seconds it will just stop and repeat the sound over and over again. Sometimes it will correct itself, but most times it just freezes and I have to reset.

I still can't find a CPU/RAM ratio/divider anywhere... I don't think it is in my BIOS. I have an Asus A8N5X motherboard for the record, with the newest BIOS available.

I changed the "memclock index value" from 400 MHz to 200 MHz. Still, no luck. For normal use and AquaMark3, I got everything okay (went through the tests) and got a score of 86,335. But, I can't play 5 seconds of Far Cry. I changed everything back right now until I know more of what I'm doing.

Jamxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:00 PM   #23
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to JustinMcG67 Send a message via MSN to JustinMcG67 Send a message via Yahoo to JustinMcG67

You lucky S.O.B.
JustinMcG67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:07 PM   #24
Fully Optimized

Haha, why's that? I still really can't get it to work. I'm running stock now...

Any suggestions?
Old 01-07-2006, 01:09 PM   #25
Fully Optimized

What RAM are you using? TCCD? BH-5 UTT? I need to know to determine how much juice you can give them.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:13 PM   #26
Fully Optimized

I have no idea! I don't know how to check or what that means.

However, I think I've found my home. I'm running at 2.4 GHz now with my CPU/RAM ratio at 1:1. That's only a 18 MHz increase in my CPU frequency and I have the multiplier set on 11x (which I figured is what the Opteron usually runs on) and it seems to work fine. Pulled an 80K score in AquaMark3 and I'm going to hang with this for a while since Far Cry seems to be working great! No lags or anything at all settings maxed out.

I can tell that it is my RAM holding me back, though, I'll probably invest in some Corsair XMS, OCZ, or Crucial RAM when I can get my funds back up a bit .

Still, I'd like to learn, so if you could tell me what all that means, your help would be greatly appreciated and maybe we can get down to the bottom of why my RAM just isn't that great, since I don't know myself !

Thanks Ownage, you've been a great help.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:53 PM   #27
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to badninja3

2 gigs of ram is holding u back?
badninja3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 06:46 PM   #28
Fully Optimized

I have one gigabyte of RAM, and it's "value" RAM. I have 2 512 megabyte sticks.

I moved them back to dual channel mode and noticed a performance increase, so they're doing fine in those slots.

I've found my home with my CPU at 2.4 GHz and my 7800GT at 487/1157. Those settings are working really well and my CPU hasn't budget past 46 Celsius and my video card hasn't gone above 61 Celsius. No artifacts, crashes, or anything of the sort. I think I'm all set! Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:29 PM   #29
Fully Optimized

Value RAM probably uses some cheap Samsung or Infineon chips. Get some OCZ Plat Rev.2 or some G.Skill TCCD. They do 300HTT no problem.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:56 PM   #30
Fully Optimized

Haha, well, probably. I had a little time last night to make sure I was stable, so I got Prime95 and it didn't crash for 18 minutes. Don't worry, though, I shut it off myself because I was so tired and I didn't want to leave my computer on all night (there was supposed to be a storm brewing but it really never happened). But, today, I'll see if it ever crashes. It crashed last night after about an hour of Quake 4 (temperatures were wonderful, though) and I boosted my RAM voltage up another notch. Right now, I think it is on 2.75 volts of its 2.85 maximum. I probably could get it faster with the maximum voltage but I'd rather not do that because I think I'm going to give this RAM to my dad soon and get some of that good stuff. If you could point me in the right direction (a link would be great ) for some of the cheapest good stuff, that'd be wonderful. I want to stay in the 100-130 dollar range (if possible) and for now I'll just want two 512 megabyte sticks to run in dual channel.

Thanks again!