do'es my case have adequate ventilation for a 3rd HDD?

stevethebrain

In Runtime
do'es my case have adequate ventilation for a 3rd HDD?

OS HDD is 1TB 7200RPM (located in the HDD cage), first storage HDD is 2TB 5400RPM,(located directly under DVD drive) 3rd HDD I'd like to have will also be 2TB 5400RPM, (plan location is the second spot in HDD cage).

MOBO has six SATA ports, so maybe w/ a intake fan I could potensionalley have more than three?

I'm using the OEM PSU which is 300watts.
Here's a image
topviewat.jpg
of my case I have added a rear case fan since this image was taken.
The front of the case is solid theres a small slite on the bottom front which I believe is the intake.

Would it be beneficial to cut a 80mm hole in the front of the case (then tape a filter over the hole) and add a intake fan.

Here's a image of the front of the case, (I don't care about cosmetics just preformance the PC is located behind the TV inside a wooden cabinet )
Acer Aspire M3910-U4012 - Core i3 550 3.2 GHz none. - product summary - Bing Shopping
heres a image of the inside front of case where I plan the intake fan.
I'm thinking I can plug it into a molex connecter.
acerfintake.jpg

Thanks for advice
STB

I would considering putting all the guts in a new case with a new PSU. OEM cases are not known for their airflow.

Although, adding another drive shouldn't hurt it.

I'd prefer to keep the OEM case what do you think about adding a intake fan and is my PSU powerfull enough?

also
future planned upgrades
better PSU (waiting for the sale price + rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703034
2GB more Ram
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009KGNSB8/ref=asc_df_B009KGNSB82536440?smid=A27S8ZOPVER272&tag=sdcbing727-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B009KGNSB8
either a second PCI TV tuner which will be a dual type.
or a USB3.0 card to speed up data transfer speeds, kindof leaning toward the tuner.

I'd prefer to keep the OEM case what do you think about adding a intake fan and is my PSU powerfull enough?

also
future planned upgrades
better PSU (waiting for the sale price + rebate)
2GB more Ram
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009KGNSB8/ref=asc_df_B009KGNSB82536440?smid=A27S8ZOPVER272&tag=sdcbing727-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B009KGNSB8
either a second PCI TV tuner which will be a dual type.
or a USB3.0 card to speed up data transfer speeds, kindof leaning toward the tuner.

One thing I'm just curious about why you use such large text. It's considered shouting.
Other thing is you're gonna need to kick the PSU up. Personally I'd get one that's modular so you can tidy up the wiring. And finally you can get a good cheap case for 30 to 50 bucks. Instead of piddling with that OEM case and having to mod it to make it work, swapping it out would relieve some major headaches you're about to run in to.

The 300W PSU is pretty anemic but an extra hdd does not draw much power which consequently means it doesn't give off much in the way of heat. You probably don't need to worry about an additional fan but the PSU is marginal.

A few things did come to mind since I looked over your post again. The OEM case breathes in from the rather small opening cut out in the front bezel. I'd take take a coping saw and cut the bottom of the bezel completely out. Then find some taller feet for it.

One thing I'm just curious about why you use such large text. It's considered shouting.
Other thing is you're gonna need to kick the PSU up. Personally I'd get one that's modular so you can tidy up the wiring. And finally you can get a good cheap case for 30 to 50 bucks. Instead of piddling with that OEM case and having to mod it to make it work, swapping it out would relieve some major headaches you're about to run in to.
my bad I usalley type my message on a wordpad w/ 16-18 font size then copy to here I thought all capitized letters was shouting?

A few things did come to mind since I looked over your post again. The OEM case breathes in from the rather small opening cut out in the front bezel. I'd take take a coping saw and cut the bottom of the bezel completely out. Then find some taller feet for it.
remember (I don't care about cosmetics just preformance the PC is located behind the TV inside a wooden cabinet so it won't be sean.

would'nt it be more beneficail to cut a 80mm hole in the front of the bezel and tape a fliter over this hole? or would a big 80mm hole ruin the vacum effect?

Last edited:
I wouldn't go balls to the wall here, throw in a 92mm fan in that back port and grab a bit better PSU with a 120mm in it. Most PSU's regulate fan speed by heat or amperage draw, so it'll adjust if need be.

No need to cut the front of that case, it's sealed on the sides and that negative pressure from 2 fans in the back will draw air in. Right now the PSU is pulling air right from underneath itself, pretty pointless. Throwing an extra 92mm in will solve that issue.

I throw in a 92mm fan in that back port and grab a bit better PSU with a 120mm in it. . Right now the PSU is pulling air right from underneath itself, pretty pointless. Throwing an extra 92mm in will solve that issue.
actualley I have added a rear 80mm case sys. fan that I had as a spare fan since this image was taken.

I believe the rear of case can have a 80mm or a 92 mm becauce of the two sets of mounting holes is there a major differnce between 80mm and 92mm?

The PSU I've picked out doe's have a 120mm fan. just waiting for the sale price.

Last edited:
actualley I have added a rear 80mm case sys. fan since this image was taken.

Good deal, I'd imagine an 80 or 92 will be adequate. As long as you don't have holes in the back that aren't covered air will be pulled through those front vents onto the drives, you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom