Does formatting damage your hard-drive?

Lac3y

Daemon Poster
I've had a few problems with my new computer, audio doesn't work, nvidia drivers installed wrong etc, I suppose they're 'teething problems', so I've had to format my hard-drive 3 times since christmas (it's easier to start fresh than to sort out the mess).

My dad keeps saying I will damage my hard-drive. Is this true?

I know excessive formatting will eventually damage it, but not after 3 right?

yea that would mean just looking at files on ur harddrive would kill it..because the needle would be moving

i asked this question one time.

Ive since looked into it and people here helped a lot.

Formatting your harddrive does not damage it. Formatting is just relocating files or deleting stuff, but its done on a big scale. essentially you are always moving, deleting and creating files on your harddrive so you are not going to damage it.

Natalya said:
Formatting your harddrive does not damage it. Formatting is just relocating files or deleting stuff, but its done on a big scale. essentially you are always moving, deleting and creating files on your harddrive so you are not going to damage it.
Exactly what I was gonna say! :p
If constant reading/writing over the course of many years doesnt seem to bother modern drives, what harm can a format ot two do. You gotta watch XP SP2 and your drivers though, they wont directly damage the hard drive, but when your frustration gets the better of you, you know how it is?! :D

Back
Top Bottom