Does DSL always need to have a DSL filter plugged in?

jimmy2o9

Baseband Member
I have a DSL modem connected upstairs in my house and I have a telephone connected downstairs(this is the only telephone that I have connected). My dsl modem phone line is plugged in to a dsl 2 wire filter. Is it necessary that I have it plugged into this filter or is it alright if I take the filter downstairs and plug the telephone phone into the 2 wire dsl filter? Or should I buy a 2nd dsl 2 wire filter?

It's necessary to have a DSL filter for every phone in your house because it "filters" the DSL tones out of the phone line so when you are talking on the phone, you don't get interference.

It's necessary to have a DSL filter for every phone in your house because it "filters" the DSL tones out of the phone line so when you are talking on the phone, you don't get interference.

I know that but what i was asking is do i need have my dsl plugged into a filter if I dont use a phone with the line its plugged into.

I know that but what i was asking is do i need have my dsl plugged into a filter if I dont use a phone with the line its plugged into.

The DSL doesn't use a filter or else it sometimes doesn't work. But to answer your question, if you don't have a phone on the same jack as your DSL connection, you don't need a filter there. But unless the jack your DSL is connected into is a dedicated line, you still need the filters throughout the house. Ya follow???

The DSL doesn't use a filter or else it sometimes doesn't work. But to answer your question, if you don't have a phone on the same jack as your DSL connection, you don't need a filter there. But unless the jack your DSL is connected into is a dedicated line, you still need the filters throughout the house. Ya follow???

Yeah i know. What i was askin is like is it alright to take the filter downstairs and use it on the phone so i dont get interference. Like doing that wouldn't mess up my dsl connection by not having a filter on it right?

Yeah i know. What i was askin is like is it alright to take the filter downstairs and use it on the phone so i dont get interference. Like doing that wouldn't mess up my dsl connection by not having a filter on it right?

OK my bad :eek:

Yes, you can take it downstairs and attach it to a phone downstairs. That will work.

Back
Top Bottom