does defragging your hard drive deminish space?

dcjose201

Baseband Member
I am using a program called Piriform Defraggler. I am noticing that my used space is increasing while this program is running. Is it normal for your space on a hard drive to go down when you defrag?

Well... Its actually moving around clusters of information, so yes, it probably does use space, as it probably copies and doesn't move at first to make sure it copies the data correctly.

Well... Its actually moving around clusters of information, so yes, it probably does use space, as it probably copies and doesn't move at first to make sure it copies the data correctly.

i have an 80gb harddrive and i bad like 36gb free when i started to defrag it. When i left for work i had 29gb free. Im still at work so i dont even know if it has used more space. So after its done will i get most of that space back. Also i am trying to install ubuntu on a separate hdd i have and keep my other hdd with vista i am currently using. would this be possible or should i just do a dual boot from one hdd?

just dual boot. sooooo easy with ubuntu. you can install ubuntu right from your desktop too.

just dual boot. sooooo easy with ubuntu. you can install ubuntu right from your desktop too.

How is this relevant to the thread?

Like others have said, defragging shouldn't take away hard drive space, but it will use space while in the process of defragging.

I use Auslogics disk defrag and it works well.

Nice looking program. It works in Vista too.

Is Auslogics Disk Defrag much faster then the standard Windows defragger?

Not sure about the XP one, but it's much faster than the Vista defragger.

Back
Top Bottom