Does defragging help your system?

wonderboy1953

In Runtime
I've never noticed a difference myself and I have read from the internet that its value is questionable.

What's your experience?

i have only noticed a different on older machines, But on newer systems I have never noticed a difference

I have, for sure.
Its not as noticeable as if you get a registry cleaner, but you will notice slightly faster start ups of programs, etc.

I haven't noticed too much from my system personally. Your mileage may vary.

The time your system spends defragging will never be recovered by the minute performance improvement which is why you always defrag when the computer would otherwise be idle.

you have to understand why fragging happens before you see the benefit.

Harddrives are split into clusters, default size is around 512bytes. When a file is put on the hard drive it is spread between as many contiguous clusters as it needs. However, when files are copies, moved, things are installed and deleted, some files can be spread between non-contiguous clusters (clusters that aren't next to each other) and this is called file fragmentation. Read times can be dramatically increased by fragmentation, but it has to be pretty badly fragmented to make a noticable impact on performance. Usually, the bigger the drive, the more fragmentation occurs, because there are often alot of empty clusters.

It depends on the level of fragmentation whether or not defragging will make a noticable difference.

Haven't seen huge changes before and after, but I understand what it is, and do it for my hard drives once in a year ~

I voted yes.
If the drive is only slightly fragmented, then there won't be much of an increase in performance after the defrag.
However, if the drive was badly fragmented, then the performance improvement is definitely noticeable, particularly on machines with slower HDDs such as laptops.

I have 'fixed' some laptops/PCs for friends that hadn't been defragged for months by simply running disk cleanup followed a complete defrag. Apps launched much faster and files opened quicker....
(Disk cleanup itself doesn't do anything, it's just to clear up some space and avoid defragging useless files)

Lengthening the life of your drive?

Spoke with my friend (who fixes computers) who says that a defrag can lengthen the
life of a drive.

It would take a long-term study to confirm this and some people may find it's not worth doing this due to planned obsolescence. So if you want to lengthen the life of your drive, this method may be worthwhile.

Back
Top Bottom