Does .4ghz difference matter with 4GB of RAM?

G9

Daemon Poster
I'm considering the entire Apple notebook line, and I've got some questions...
1. The processor for the MacBook is 2.2ghz Core 2 Duo, and 2.6ghz for the MacBook Pro. For both notebooks the RAM is 4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2x2GB). What will the performance gains be?
2. The MacBook doesn't have a dedicated video card... will interface animation hamper performance?
3. For music production does a jump from 5400RPM HDD speed to 7200RPM HDD make much difference?
4. I'm wondering if 1280x800 or 1440x900 is too small for applications such as Logic Studio and Adobe Creative Suite 3... however, I have a 24" monitor running at 1920x1200 so that shouldn't be a problem. Comment on the native screen resolutions, however.

Hey G9, it's nice to see you back again.

1. The processor for the MacBook is 2.2ghz Core 2 Duo, and 2.6ghz for the MacBook Pro. For both notebooks the RAM is 4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2x2GB). What will the performance gains be?

Personally, I wouldn't notice the difference. If you're opting for the 2.6 processor, wait until January. I think that's when Intel will release their new line of mobile processors. By that time, Apple should of updated it's Pro line.

2. The MacBook doesn't have a dedicated video card... will interface animation hamper performance?
Leopard and Tiger both run fine on integrated graphics.

3. For music production does a jump from 5400RPM HDD speed to 7200RPM HDD make much difference?
It's real debatable. The difference will probably be a few seconds if not less in real world usage. If you have the budget, go for it.
4. I'm wondering if 1280x800 or 1440x900 is too small for applications such as Logic Studio and Adobe Creative Suite 3... however, I have a 24" monitor running at 1920x1200 so that shouldn't be a problem. Comment on the native screen resolutions, however.
Sounds like you'll appreciate the additional real estate on the Macbook Pro. 1440x900 is just enough to run two applications side by side comfortably. If you're into serious editing, consider the high resolution Macbook Pro 17".

Thanks man... good to be back. I'm trying to stay active at a number of places, including here, but I can't seem to find the time. :(

Yeah... I'm planning to purchase this during the summer, so a January release won't leave me twiddling my thumbs.

I guess the HDD speed is really a matter of patience... patience when it comes to seconds, but nevertheless it's a wait. Haha, it's amazing how impatient society's gotten... looking back on some movie classics and their opening credits certainly speaks of a more patient time period in human history.

See with the screen size, that's my a big wavering point for me... I have 1920x1200 additional screen space with my 24" Dell UltraSharp. So most of my editing would be done there. But then, with on-the-go recording... well it really depends. I don't do much of that, but still there's always the possibility. :p So I guess the real point of the matter is the screen type, glossy or matte. I'm pro-matte, anti-glossy. The glossy visibility depends way too much on your viewing angle, and reflections tend to annoy me, so I'm not sure.

And I've got the funds... it's my predicted satisfaction level several months after my purchase, not the lost green bills, that determine my decision now. But yeah, I guess the biggest difference between the two models, or more accurately, three, is screen size, so that's where I need some help.

So I guess the real point of the matter is the screen type, glossy or matte. I'm pro-matte, anti-glossy. The glossy visibility depends way too much on your viewing angle, and reflections tend to annoy me, so I'm not sure.

I originally ordered a matte screen, but thanks to Fry's excellent online store, I got glossy instead - and I rather not deal with their customer service. If you're going to rely on accurate colors, then a matte screen will be the obvious choice. Glossy screens tend to oversaturate things.

Reflections aren't an issue for me. The screens included aren't like the average Dell/HP glossy screens.

See with the screen size, that's my a big wavering point for me... I have 1920x1200 additional screen space with my 24" Dell UltraSharp. So most of my editing would be done there. But then, with on-the-go recording... well it really depends. I don't do much of that, but still there's always the possibility. :p

Well, probably not a huge factor, but you will need an additional adapter for the Macbook in able to use your DVI monitor. The Macbook Pro can also use a dual link DVI connection for larger displays. (30" Apple Cinema Display)

The Pro line also features ambient light sensors for both the keyboard and display, LED back lighting that improves battery life, and (most will say) better overall design.

Yeah... I think I'll go with a MacBook Pro after all. It's just a decision between the three models:

1. 2.2ghz / 4GB RAM / 128MB Video / 7200RPM HDD / 15.4" LED @ 1440x900
2. 2.6ghz / 4GB RAM / 256MB Video / 7200RPM HDD / 15.4" LED @ 1440x900
3. 2.6ghz / 4GB RAM / 256MB Video / 7200RPM HDD / 17" CCFL @ 1920x1200

I guess there really isn't substantial performance increases between 1 and 2/3, despite the fact that recent MacWorld reviews indicate that the new 2.2ghz MacBook performs better in some areas than the MacBook Pro (I guess it's this new processor upgrade you were talking about).

In your case, I would get option two. Balance of both worlds. You have the advantage of both the LED screen, and the overall portability.

I wouldn't consider getting option three unless it came with an LED screen like it's smaller sibling. It just makes that big of a difference in the long run.

Here's a comparison between screens just to show how big the difference is:

14.jpg

To be fair, monitors with a CCFL backlights don't exactly age well.

Hold the boat!

Did I miss something? When did Apple start using Intel CPUs?

Around 2005-2006

Which of the four is best, and would it top the MacBook standard Apple RAM?

I would always go for a name brand. Sure Apple does too. I'll check.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial]Samsung 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz DIMM Kit[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom