Dodgy Vista performance.

connchri

Daemon Poster
Hi folks.

I have a major problem. Here it is....

Having just updated my computer to a Via K8M890 chipset Mobo (Asus) I'm have huge performance hits, specifically in the graphics department.

I have reasons for "up-grading" to a Skt 939 platform, and the reason for the integrated chipset Mobo was because it was the only motherboard availible to me in the small form factor that it is.

Anyway, I have installed a legit copy of Vista x64 Ultimate, and therefore the needed 5.11A drivers. I am not using the integrated graphics, and am in fact using the PCI-E 16x slot to house a ATI X1950Pro graphics card. I have the latest drivers for all my hardware, and coupled with 1GB of RAM and a A64 3700+ I don't see how I can get over these performance glitches. Battlefield 2 should be a breeze for this machine to run, yet it has problems doing so, with low frame rates and unbearable stutters, in closed scenes, and wide open ones.

I never had these problems running WinXP home with the 5.10 Hyperion drivers, but did so with updating XP to the newer 5.11a. Now considering I have to install the latest 5.11a for Vista anyway as the 5.10 are not for vista, what do I do?

The gaming performance is terrible, and I'm sitting here at a lan the now, and re-installing Win XP is not my most favoured option.

Thanks for any possible help in advanced.

Chris.

Well, as mentioned before, you should of waited. It seems that there are going to be problems in performance and the drivers that are released for it are mostly dodgy at first glance. I'd reinstall XP and wait for SP1.

There is a Vista Xtreem, which is burned to a CD, but this stuff wasn't worth the hassle I had.

Yeah, I have a LAN party coming up and I'm just gonna install XP over again. Gaming performance on Vista sucks. Of course, I can't really blame Microsoft because it is a really nice OS, but drivers just suck. Creative drivers are still beta and ATI's Catalyst are still sorta flakey.

I ran UT2004 and it was nice, but a N64 game, that is graphic extrmist, was slow as he**

I reverted to XP, but I am still losing power due that I don't have a freaking sound card to my disposition!!!

Like I said, a 300MBish Lite version was released, but it sucks...literally :p

Aye, well I suppose it was a bit of a early and risky gamble. Looks as though I'll just need to reinstall windows XP. I have discs here and it'll only take me an hour or so to get the thing back fighting fit.

In the mean time, I'm ordering a Core 2 duo and a decent motherboard for it. As I should have did in the 1st place instead of cutting the cost by going down yesterdays top dog hardware approach.

Back
Top Bottom