do you recommend ddr2 or ddr3

metuutem

Solid State Member
hi im looking to build a new comp. this one is was new and top of the line 10 years ago.

since then, my use of it has not changed; internet, email. but yet for some reason, doing these simple tasks is now more burdensome because new applications require more speed memory.

now what do you think? I was gonna get the highest quality ddr2 ram, 2 gigs @ 1200mHz, with a mobo able to handle it. Im def getting a core2 3.0gHz.

or is it possible that this isn't gonna be enough in 3/4 years? should i just plunk down the $200-400 for the ddr3 and capable mobo?

btw i do like playing games on occasion.

if you are going to go with Intel, i would suggest going with DDR2 because of the bottleneck of the RAM. I think Intel CPU can only run the memory at 553/667 because of the FSB.
The only reason why to get a higher speed RAM is only if you are going to Overclock a lot.

The price on the DDR3 ram is just so high right now, and from what I've seen it's not great of a performance boost get yourself some bad ass DDR2 ram and OC it

Go with DDR2 for now, but if you want a REALLY fast computer and are willing to spend some money you can wait for Intel to release the Nehalem processors or wait for AMD to release the AM3 socket CPU's to get DDR3.

i think DDR2 is sufficient enough for now.
I think DDR3 will be needed more around the end of next year if not by summer of 2009.

Think your wrong their, dd3 is new and more and more new applications will need ddr3

but go with ddr 2 if you just want to browse the web.

What Teny said, we don't need it now, we will probably need it later on.

Back
Top Bottom