Do I need a SSD

BlitzingNinja

Baseband Member
So I am thinking of buying a gaming computer in the future. It will be Windows 7 and it will be running a reasonable amount of games. I have seen what a SSD does and how it performs but I still don't have full understanding of it.

Question 1. What can/should I put on my SSD, how much space it would take and what would be the results? Eg. O.S. = Faster boot time? Faster overall?

Question 2. How much space do I need on my SSD if I were to put my largest and most used games. Battlefield 3, Garry's Mod, Counterstrike Source + Go, Minecraft, Team Fortress, etc?

Question 3. Is a SSD worth the money?

Thanks.

SSD's are good for installing you OS and programs on, It will boot Windows much faster than what an ordinary hard drive would. I'd get one with at least 256GB if you have the money to spend and want to put all your games on it. SSD's are certainly worth the money.

Question 1. What can/should I put on my SSD, how much space it would take and what would be the results? Eg. O.S. = Faster boot time? Faster overall?

Anything you want to be faster. In your case, your OS and all installed games.
Windows default installation takes ~38GB.
Games range from 2GB to 12GB (e.g. Diablo 3) or more.

Question 2. How much space do I need on my SSD if I were to put my largest and most used games. Battlefield 3, Garry's Mod, Counterstrike Source + Go, Minecraft, Team Fortress, etc?

I would go with a ~256GB drive. (When I bought mine, 240GB drives were cheaper because there were more available, so check around different drive sizes in the range of what you choose, you may get more for less).

Question 3. Is a SSD worth the money?

Depends on how much value you put on access times. In my opinion, my SSD was worth more than I paid. Others may not feel that way... it's all based on perception. You will see a large difference.

Another option is the hybrid SSD/HD. I have a 500 GB one in my laptop that I paid about $100 for and is great. Not as fast as an SSD but much faster than a spinner.

SSD's can be a good investment , i want one for my laptop & will eventually get one.

And Smart Guy, i'm not seeing your post....weird.

What the... :confused:

Where is my post? I spent so much thought typing it. And my superior English skills :cool:. And it wasn't in invisible ink :D

I'll try to remember what it was, lets see:

SSD's prices are still expensive for per GB. If my calculations are correct, it is like 4 times the price of HDD's.

I personally use a 128GB SSD for a single boot system (Win7) and the remaining is +40GB. I guess it is good enough for 1 game installation if you don't mind uninstalling games after getting done with as long as you can keep the save stats. I'm saying this having the high price in mind. if affordable, things might be different.

I find that HDD's these days have become reasonably fast. Any performance HDD with 64MB cache that is. This excludes power saving HDD's.

On my rig, Win7 boots really fast and speed on my 4TB Seagate HDD's (3 of them, cool, huh?) w/64MB cache don't let me wait for long.

SSD's life span and durability are less than those of HDD's and are directly affected by repeated write/delete actions. I believe games are installed/uninstalled much more often than operating systems. For this reason, I don't recommend SSD's for games.

Then again, budget is the judge.

I hope this post stays here this time :D

Last edited:
Black Friday is coming up. Check Newegg for BF deals. Watch which brands you go with. Some have higher prices simply cause of the brand name. Read the specs first.

Back
Top Bottom