Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-03-2012, 03:58 AM   #1
Beta Member
Default Do I need a NAS?

I live with my computers. All the time. But I like to change things up between sitting at my desktop, and lounging around with my 2 laptops.

I would like some networked storage to hold my main storage drive, a 1TB HDD, but I want access to it to be as fast as if it was connected directly to the computer I'm using, because I will want to flick through photos and watch movies. Please forgive my ignorance on the topic...

It is all likely to be in 1 room, but the flexibility of wireless would be really nice. Will a wireless set up be fast enough, and affordable?

What do you think would be best?

Lonfdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:26 AM   #2
Daemon Poster
Default Re: Do I need a NAS?

Wireless Home NAS is not to expensive (if that is what you mean), you can get a 1TB for around 100

Core i7 3770K, Gigabyte GA-Z77P-D3, Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO, Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3, ASUS GeForce GTX 650 Ti, Corsair Series CX750w, Intel 320 Series SSD, WD Caviar Black 1TB, Pioneer BDR-207DBK 12x Blu Ray/DVD, Black Night Case, Saitek & Razer, Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64, ZA Antivirus + Firewall
*= WildCat =* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
Beta Member

Maybe someone with experience setting up NAS systems can recommend something. There seem to be a lot of critical reviews of most top NAS out there...

I have a Virgin Media superhub (made by netgear), and an older 2011 white Netgear branded modem router.... (and a 2010 model as well). All b/g routers. None have N. Would N help?

Reviews of a WD NAS are not encouraging
"main complaint... this NAS is painfully slow... with anything wirelessly"
WD My Book Live Personal Cloud Storage 2 TB Network Attached Storage: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Cheaper Seagate
Seagate STAM1000200 1TB FreeAgent GoFlex Wireless Home NAS: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
Lonfdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

If you have a desktop that you leave on, you can set up a network share on that.
FX-8350 @ 4.7 cooled by H80, 32GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133, Asus Sabertooth 990FX, 2x Radeon HD 7850 2GB in X-fire, 500GB Samsung 850 Evo, 4TB Seagate, 3TB WD Black, 2x 1TB WD RED in RAID 0
OhSnapWord is offline   Reply With Quote