Do I need a Firewall if I have a Router?

Jp425

Baseband Member
My Kaspersky anti hacker is about to expire. I have a Linksys router set to WPA 2 protection, do I need software firewall like Kaspersky or Zonealarm? Or is my router security good enough?

No you dont need it. But I would recomend it. Withought it people can hack or enter your network withought you knowing. Your next door nieghboor can be using you internet withought you knowing. So yea get protection sophtware, it also protects you computer from viruses:)

it is generally recommended to run a software firewall as well as a hardware firewall like what is in your router. zone alarm for free would be good, or even the windows firewall turned on would be better than not having a software one.

No you dont need it. But I would recomend it. Withought it people can hack or enter your network withought you knowing. Your next door nieghboor can be using you internet withought you knowing. So yea get protection sophtware, it also protects you computer from viruses:)
1. firewalls dont protect from viruses
2. neighbors cant hack WPA
3. firewalls have nothing to do with ppl entering your network

I dont use my router firewall at all, I just use an ordinary firewall as normal and have had no problems, if you want an alternative to Zone Alarm try Comodo its free and I like it.

All I run is my router firewall and I haven't had a problem yet. Hardware firewalls are the best.

I dont use my router firewall at all, I just use an ordinary firewall as normal and have had no problems, if you want an alternative to Zone Alarm try Comodo its free and I like it.

My newb question of the day..... To turn off your router firewall do you just unplug it or is there a setting that you can manually turn it off? Since mine is plugged in all the time, I assume the firewall is on.

How doe you turn off your router firewall?

All I run is my router firewall and I haven't had a problem yet. Hardware firewalls are the best.

I heard hardware firewalls are the most secure, i'm just confused if I really require software firewall. If its proven added protection then i would install it.

Not that anyone would want to hack my computer, just for peace of mind.

My newb question of the day..... To turn off your router firewall do you just unplug it or is there a setting that you can manually turn it off? Since mine is plugged in all the time, I assume the firewall is on.

How doe you turn off your router firewall?
Don't turn off your router firewall.

But to turn it off you'd go into the router setup program by typing the ip address of the router into your internet browser. There you'll see all the options, firewall should be somewhere under security.

Back
Top Bottom