Do I need a dedicated GPU when I have the Intel Core i5 3570?

HazMatt

Beta member
I am building my first computer. As a casual gamer, I do not play many games but I would still like to enjoy nice graphics and fps with my new system (upgrading from old laptop). I have decided to get the Intel Core i5 3570; this will be quite nice while video editing and using Flash and Photoshop and such programs.

My friends are suggesting that I will not need a dedicated GPU for the games I play, and I should just get the Intel Core i5 3570 as it is powerful enough to run them.

My question is, is this true? Is this CPU good enough to run games, the likes of Killing Floor, Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 and GTA IV (for examples) at fair video settings with good FPS?

Here is my setup, responses will be greatly appreciated:

Corsair VS450 Builder Series ATX Power Supply
Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/8G 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST1000DM003
SanDisk Extreme Solid State Drive 120GB
ASRock H77-PRO4-MVP Motherboard
Intel Core i5 3570

The igp in intel's processors is atrocious. Get a proper GPU. I tried playing minecraft on my friend's computer (3570k) the other day and got like 12fps at 1080p. All settings turned to minimum.

Intel Core i5 is fine but you will need a slot in GPU (Graphics Card) if you want to play some of games out, go to your Motherboards web site and see what is compatible, also when buying a GPU check its power requirements and your PSU.

The igp in intel's processors is atrocious. Get a proper GPU. I tried playing minecraft on my friend's computer (3570k) the other day and got like 12fps at 1080p. All settings turned to minimum.

Do you think even a cheaper kind of GPU would do the job? Just to relieve the CPU of stress?

Even a lower end GPU would be better than the IGP. What resolution is your monitor and what is your budget?

I don't actually have a monitor for my setup at the moment (nothing has been purchased). I suppose that isn't too helpful. My budget is around $700-800.

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

Intel Core i5 is fine but you will need a slot in GPU (Graphics Card) if you want to play some of games out, go to your Motherboards web site and see what is compatible, also when buying a GPU check its power requirements and your PSU.

Thankyou for that advice, I'll keep it in mind.

Back
Top Bottom