Do I have an undetectable virus?

shortii

Solid State Member
Hi all, I'm having some big problems with my computer. I'm starting to think I've got a virus but not sure how I got it if I do. My antivirus is up to date, got firewall protection etc, but it's still doing something really weird.

If the computer has been shutdown and I turn it on, it allows me to log in and loads my profile and then just won't do anything. None of my programs start up. Antivirus program won't start (on toolbar) and it just sits there thinking and thinking. None of the icons will highlight and if I try to open something it may or may not open about 10 minutes later????? Can't open processes to see if something is not responding but it's like NOTHING is responding. If I shut the computer down manually maybe half a dozen times or more and keep trying eventually it will start up and run as normal, until I shut it down again and start all over.

When it's been working I've run my antivirus and spyware programs and nothing detected. I've also run a couple of online ones and they also detected nothing. However today when I was shutting it down to try again, a box opened which said ALCXMNTR and it had a picture of what looked like a bug with an exclamation mark beside it.

Does it sound like I have a virus or is it more likely something wrong with windows?? I'm running XP. My computers only about 6months old as well. I've searched help and can't even find if there's a program I can run (other than system restore) to see if my software IS operating correctly.

Please help. It's getting to the point where I'm too scared to shut the computer down in case it just never starts again and I lose everything.

Thanks in advance if you can help me.

Shortii.

ALCXMNTR, is a Driver for Realtek audio, which also acts as a spyware for sending computer data to Realtek.It can cause problems but i don't know how big.If your computer is working, try running some spyware detection software as Spybot,Maybe that may arrest the problem.

Thanks stacy. I'll download it and give it a go.

I just spoke with tech support (the company I bought the computer from) and they got me to go into msconfig and untick everything except KBD and ps2 and my antivirus program. It seems to have fixed it, but seems like a bit of a bandaid fix to me. Guess that means I've still got something dodgy on my computer which was messing with stuff but the only difference is now it's not being started.

Not being very technically minded, how would I go about finding out which program in the start up menu was causing the problem so I can delete it? They all look the same to me. Just computer jargon.

Thanks again

shortii said:
Thanks stacy. I'll download it and give it a go.

I just spoke with tech support (the company I bought the computer from) and they got me to go into msconfig and untick everything except KBD and ps2 and my antivirus program. It seems to have fixed it, but seems like a bit of a bandaid fix to me. Guess that means I've still got something dodgy on my computer which was messing with stuff but the only difference is now it's not being started.

Not being very technically minded, how would I go about finding out which program in the start up menu was causing the problem so I can delete it? They all look the same to me. Just computer jargon.

Thanks again

Yeah that usually works. If u want to know which one it is just google all of them. If it says that it's related to spyware/virus then it's probably it. And check all of them, there could be more than 1.

Back
Top Bottom